News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

building nose for superbird

Started by daytonakid, November 30, 2008, 01:37:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

daytonakid

I'm building a nose. Have all the parts janak makes, What else do I need to finish it? Bill
Owner East Portland Auto Body www.eastportlandautobody.com

moparstuart

Quote from: daytonakid on November 30, 2008, 01:37:37 AM
I'm building a nose. Have all the parts janak makes, What else do I need to finish it? Bill
now reproduce everything in steel and your good to go 
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Daytona R/T SE

The fiberglass nosecone from Janek is a good piece,The fiberglass headlight doors are good,too. Like Stuart said-Everything else you have....well...Use the Z-bars,buckets,pivots,etc. as three dimensional fiberglass patterns to build your own parts from steel. Throw the patterns away when you're done-or pass them on to the next guy. :eek2:

Been there. :eek2:

Done that. :eek2:

Still doing that. :eek2:

Never again. :eek2:

daytonakid

Are there any more small peices I don't have? Bill

62 Max

Quote from: daytonakid on November 30, 2008, 10:56:43 AM
Are there any more small peices I don't have? Bill

If you want do do it right,there are a lot of small pieces.

hotrod98

You will have to fab up the pivot pins on the headlamp pivots. You will need two vacuum pods. I buy the GTO versions from Yearone and then alter them. You may choose to alter the stops on the pivots and buckets. You will need a vacuum harness, seal kit, nose to hood seal, nose to fender seals, special headlamp bucket bolts, rivits for the seals, bolts for the z-braces and front spoiler, headlamp adjusters, headlamp seal beams.  You will have to alter the headlamp doors and attach them to the pivots.
As suggested before, keep the headlamp doors and seriously give thought to replacing the headlamp buckets and z-braces with steel components for durability. The fiberglass stuff just won't hold up.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

BigBlockSam

QuoteI buy the GTO versions from Yearone

:yesnod: me too, they work well . all moving parts should be metal so they last.
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

daytonakid

Anybody have some pics of the small parts will I need or where to get the pictures. I appreiciate any help to get me on the right track. Is there a vendor for some of the parts you say I'll need in metal that I now have of janaks. Also any vendors of the small parts. I've worked on the nose of one of these before but it has been a while. Bill

nascarxx29

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,43102.0.html
This may help you its shows the nosecone apart on pages 5 -6

The 4 black circles are the pivot end caps which recieve 2 bushings.That the pivot shaft goes through.That attaches to the pivot bracket.Have to get you a exploded view to see how it all comes together.The 2 flat plates at bottom are the actuator mounting plates
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

hotrod98

Quote from: daytonakid on November 30, 2008, 05:47:35 PM
Anybody have some pics of the small parts will I need or where to get the pictures. I appreiciate any help to get me on the right track. Is there a vendor for some of the parts you say I'll need in metal that I now have of janaks. Also any vendors of the small parts. I've worked on the nose of one of these before but it has been a while. Bill

Bill,
I have several pics of a green bird clone with the headlamps in the grille opening. Is it your's?

Charles Addams

daytonakid

You guys got a good memory. It is. I bought the car with the nose the way it is. Just didn't want to tear a driving car apart. This build is going to be a superbird vert. starting with a 70 satelite vert. I repaired a nose on a real superbird a couple years ago but that was years ago. Trying to reeducate myself. Bill

hotrod98

Who's red daytona is parked next to it in this pic?

Charles Addams

daytonakid

The Daytona was owned and built by Dane Gesdahl. I think I spelled his name right. Ive also got a couple more pics of a real white one in front of the shop and a real limelight one also. Bill

hotrod98

I've bought three wings from Dane in the last couple of years. I had always thought that the red one could be one his cars. I was going to place the headlamps in the grille opening on the bird clone that I'm getting ready to build for my wife but decided to do them the correct way after figuring out how to make them work on my daytona clone. I already have the headlamp assemblies from a Grand Prix and may go ahead and use one of my noses and wings on a satellite that I have, place the headlamps in the grille opening and put the car on e-bay as a project bird.

Charles Addams

moparstuart

Quote from: daytonakid on November 30, 2008, 09:19:53 PM
You guys got a good memory. It is. I bought the car with the nose the way it is. Just didn't want to tear a driving car apart. This build is going to be a superbird vert. starting with a 70 satelite vert. I repaired a nose on a real superbird a couple years ago but that was years ago. Trying to reeducate myself. Bill
tell me more about your superbird vert ,  dont know why i would be interested  ?  :shruggy: :smilielol: :smilielol:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

daytonakid

Its pretty rusty we are replacing a lot of the car. Bought to build for myself customer saw it had to have it. So we're building it for him. I'll have to wait on mine til this one is done. I'll use my other 70 satelite vert for my superbird clone. Customer will probably put a hemi 4 speed in it. We will probably build mostly stock. Thanks for the directions to pics on h/l buckets. Any pics of inside of headlight buckets. Bill