News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Number 6 piston, Can you tell if it's garbage?

Started by WH23G3G, November 03, 2008, 03:56:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WH23G3G

This was the hardest piston to get out. I think what happened when I took the heads off a few years ago the coolant spilled in to some of the bores and I guess I didn't clean it out good enough. The second ring was totally frozen in the land, I had to break the ring to get it out. But actually the ring lands don't show any signs of rust where the ring seats. Not even any carbon. I don't know what happened on the top of the piston. It actually looks worse in the photo. It's highlighted by the white powerdery byproduct of soaking in the bucket of degreaser all night. The top of the piston isn't as shiny and smooth as the other 7 pistons. If I look at the spot on the actual piston I can see that the metal has been removed  by something. It's not bad, but I'm not engine expert. I don't know if it's ok to reuse it or junk it. If I have to replace it do I have to replace all the other pistons too or can I just get one piston. I work for a parts warehouse delivering to shops and I've seen many mechanics buy just one piston that's bad. Anyway how would I know what piston to get. All I see on this piston as far as numbers is .040 on the top and a F stamped on each side of the wrist pin.

Challenger340

From the top it looks ok, I wouldn't sweat the pecker track,
but,
more importantly to whether the Piston is serviceable or not, is to measure things with a micrometer, like;
- cam-ground effect remaining in the skirt ? (the amount of "oval" left)
-ring land width ?
Depth ?
-Pin bore clearance or galling ?
-Skirt clearance in the bore ?

Got some pictures from the "sides" of the ring lands, pin ends etc. ?

Inspect the pin ends closely, I'm assuming the rods are still on ? any "discoloration"/blueing ?
Especially on a .040" over aftermarket pop.

Bob out.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

firefighter3931

:iagree: with Bob, measure the bores and mic the pistons then decide a course of action.  :Twocents:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

WH23G3G

The block is off to the machine shop today to see if hopefully just needs a honing, cleaning, cam bearings, and distributor drive bushing. I wasn't able to get accurate results with because I didn't have a 4-5" mic for the bores so I'll let the machine shop check it. I am however able to mic the pistons and crank journals. Which I will do tonight. As far as the sides of the piston by appearance, it's all clean just like the rest of the piston, nothing to indicate bent rods. Even the ring lands are virtually free of carbon. So I hope everything is ok.