News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

First newbie question

Started by wayfast1500, January 19, 2009, 07:35:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wayfast1500

I picked up that 73 I was talking about in my last post, the previous owner said the car runs but the battery was dead.  I had it on the charger today, it said the battery was full so I went to start it, I got nothing from the key.  I tried the gm tap, still nothing finally I jumped the terminals on the soloniod and the starter sounded like it was trying but it couldnt budge the engine at all.  Could this be because the car hasnt been ran and has been sitting in zero degree weather for the past few months, I know I cant get my Harley to start but the engine atliest turns a little.  Or do you guys think it could be seized up?

skip68

Pull the spark plugs and try and turn the crank with a wrench.
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

wayfast1500

Yea I think when it warms up a little I'll pull the plugs and pour some marvins down the cylinders it cant hurt, then in the spring I'll try to crank it.  Worst case its seized and I'll end up putting new rings in it and boring it out a little, or just drop a 360 in it.

dpm68

It would seem that if it is truly seized, putting new rings in would be the tip of the iceberg. Generally: Engine seized = Bottom end rebuild.
It really depends on HOW it seized, so when you DO turn it by hand, listen to it very carefully for any odd noises. The more you hear, the more it will cost. Generally...

wayfast1500

I just talked to the p.o he said he let it idle for about 5 mins then shut it off so I think its just the zero degree weather taking a toll on the already dead battery, since the 50amp engine start on my charger didnt even have enough extra amps to crank my harley.

500hp_440

It takes my 3500 Dodge's battery to crank my 440 (750 cold cranking amps)
Barrow a diesel truck battery, I would be surprised if you could crank it with 50amps.
Good luck :2thumbs:
Let it alone^.

Bob

I bought a 1974, 440 motorhome that the guy said ran but the battery was dead. It sat for 8 years with a dead battery. The starter had frozen up.

Green71R/T

If the battery is cold(below freezing) and dead it will not take a charge.Turn the headlights on to check for power.If they are bright then turn key to start position ,lights should dim,if they don't check that car is in park(try neutral).Make sure engine is not seized by turning crankshaft with 1 1/4"(if memory serves?) socket.How long has this motor been out of service and how humid is the area it was stored in. It is so dry here in Calgary that engines can be stored for years and they still will run.Do some basic troubleshooting and good luck.

wayfast1500

Car was ran a month or 2 ago, lights are real dim which leads me to believe I don't have enough cranking amps.