News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need Camshaft Suggestion

Started by BlueSS454, June 30, 2008, 06:29:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueSS454

The cam is wiped out in the 440.  It blew a head gasket 2 weeks ago, I just got the heads back from being redone.  I went to clean thelifters and check everything before I put it back together and found 4 lifters are eaten up meaning the cam is wiped.  I need to order a new cam, but not sure what.  I was looking at the Purple cam part number P41220235.  It has a 284/284 adv. duration with a 484/484 lift.  Anyone have experience with this one?  My main concern is vacuum and RPM range.  With this duration, the RPM range should be about 1600-5200 or in the vicinity,
Tom Rightler

mikepmcs

I had that exact cam.  Don't do it.  No vacuum(on a side note just sold my vac pump on ebay :icon_smile_big:)
I'll find my thread on this but i'm guessing Ron will suggest Engle K56 or maybe a 58 for your application.

But if you do decide you want this cam, I'll send you my old one for free, of course you'll need to buy lifters as they weren't indexed when pulled. My bad.

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

mikepmcs

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

firefighter3931

Unfortunately, when you eat a cam/lifters the engine is filled with small metal particles that are suspended in the oil.  :P That usually means a complete rebuild with new bearings/rings and if you're lucky the cylinders might be fine with a simple hone job. If you're not lucky it means an overbore and new pistons.  :-\

There are much better cams available than the 284/484 that will idle better, make more vacuum and more power. You need to match the cam to the rest of the combination....intake/exhuast, carburator, rear end gearing, stall speed all come into play. Power brake cars also need sufficient vacuum to work properly so that is something else that needs to be factored in.

If it was mine....i'd be pulling it and doing a complete teardown and evaluation.  :Twocents:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

BlueSS454

I'll have the engine hanging tomorrow night.  I missed a bad lifter, now there are 5 total lobes wiped out.  I want to see how bad the bottom end suffered.  I hope the crank isn't toast.

I'm still open to a cam suggestion though.  Since I'm going to rebuild the engine anyways, I want a roller in it.  I'm done screwing around with flat tappet cams.
Tom Rightler

66monaco

Quote from: BlueSS454 on June 30, 2008, 06:29:16 PM
The cam is wiped out in the 440.  It blew a head gasket 2 weeks ago, I just got the heads back from being redone.  I went to clean thelifters and check everything before I put it back together and found 4 lifters are eaten up meaning the cam is wiped.  I need to order a new cam, but not sure what.  I was looking at the Purple cam part number P41220235.  It has a 284/284 adv. duration with a 484/484 lift.  Anyone have experience with this one?  My main concern is vacuum and RPM range.  With this duration, the RPM range should be about 1600-5200 or in the vicinity,

my '69 charger, 383cid has mopar 292 cam, 10.5 pistons eddy rpm intake, holley 800 etc. it rews 7000 easily :D but idle is sooo poor, only about 4 inhg of vacuum :(  i thinking of changing cam too, to little smaller...:) and carb too... soo keep cam suggestions coming :)
M ore
O utstanding
P ower
A nd
R eliability

aifilaw

Quote from: BlueSS454 on July 01, 2008, 08:51:39 PM
I'll have the engine hanging tomorrow night.  I missed a bad lifter, now there are 5 total lobes wiped out.  I want to see how bad the bottom end suffered.  I hope the crank isn't toast.

I'm still open to a cam suggestion though.  Since I'm going to rebuild the engine anyways, I want a roller in it.  I'm done screwing around with flat tappet cams.

I'm on the hunt for a roller myself, so far I've only found crane cams makes 4 profiles, and some expensive lifters ($5-600)
There's some off-name brands I see as well, but nothing of note...

I may be going to my custom cam grinder and seeing what they can do.
'72 B5 Metallic Blue Hardtop
426" Wedge - Hydraulic Roller Stealth heads

Chryco Psycho

I use the Lunati VooDoo or Engle grinds , far better then the old 484 purple cam

oldkimmer

...........Alot of ppl r using Doug Herbert roller cams/lifters.......good price and good p/r........kim........
Back in the good old days 1968 charger rt 440 magnum . 1968  charger 383 magnum. The Beast has been Unleashed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

aifilaw

I've been having reed cams do all my custom grinds since 2001 or 2, I forget. Been very pleased with the quality of product, and far more I've been impressed with the price, they come in about 20% less than others I've checked.

doechsle

and a fellow dodge charger member.  :nana:

aifilaw

Yes. and Dennis, their cam designer occasionally wakes up and posts.