News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

trunk floor removal question

Started by Brightyellow69rtse, September 20, 2008, 10:27:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brightyellow69rtse

ok im gonna start the removal of the trunk pan on my 69. i got the tank down and everthing down thats in the way.  now i know theres spot welds everywhere as ive read from previous threads. problem is as much as i look for the spot welds i dont really see anything. ive looked from the top of the car and from underneith.  so how do i know where to drill?  i just cant see any welds where the pan joins the frame pieces at all.

any advise on what to do here? do i start from above the trunk pan or do i lay under the car? i have a air chisel, drills grinder all that stuff, inc a welder. i just dont wanna hack up more stuff than i have to to get the pan out. thanks, Mike

Daytona R/T SE

Air chisel that sucker out. Cut the bulk of it out with the airchisel, just leaving the strips on top of the framerails, then run the chisel along the top of the framerail, under the trunk floor remnants-then grind off the remaining "nubs" of the spotwelds...

71RT4ME

if you are careful,you can air chisel out the majority of the panel-but be very careful not to cut into the rail,crossmembers etc below.Go slow and pay attention.An air chisel in the wrong hands can make a huge mess[kind of like a torch]
I like to use a cut off tool with a thick cutoff disc and use it on edge to "erase" the spotwelds so to speak.Just grind thru the top surface enough to pop the panels.You will make a shiny spot about the size of a dime or nickel.Just don't go too far or you will make the flange below too thin.
Spotweld cutters are misunderstood tools too.The are really only needed if you want to save the top panel.You will want to use the spotweld drill on the inner wheel houses,and the rear valance of a Charger if you are saving it.Use a propane torch and a scraper,wire brush to find the welds easily.

hemi-hampton

Sometimes just grinding over the top of where the spot welds should be will show them up as little round low spots making them easy to find. First thing I thought of if you can not find them then maybe this means this trunk has been replaced once before years go, if not you should be able to see them? LEON. :scratchchin:

riggs626

I removed my 68 trunk pan and the air chisel worked but it took alot longer and gave me more than enough scars on my hands and arms dont use a drill bit what works best is whats called a spot weld cutter 3/8 size and u can feel the spot welds with ur fingers its a tiny indentation and you just use the cutter, once I bought the cutter took me about 1.5 to 2hrs to get the entire floor pan out.

hemi-hampton

I use the Blair spot weld cutters. some auto paint stores sell them LEON.