News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Help with ignition power

Started by mauibarber, September 06, 2008, 11:53:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mauibarber

I replaced my ampmeter because my old one died.  I also switched the main alternator and main battery wire to different spots on the firewall plug because the original spots were a bit melted.  But I may have done something wrong by mistake.

Here is my problem,

My stereo now comes on with no key.  The guy who installed the stereo ran the main power wire of the stereo to the alternator wire off the ignition (has a little A next to it on ignition).  Is the alternator wire off the ignition supposed to be hot at all times?  If so where is a good place to wire the main power to the stereo?

Stereo worked correctly up until I started replacing things.

Car starts just fine and seems to charge just fine as well so I thought I rewired everything correctly.

-Alex

bearbqd

What year is your car? I think the A on the ignition switch is the accessory wire and should only have power to it when you turn the key back or in the on ignition 1 position. It's not really gonna hurt anything if your stereo comes on with out the ignition on, as long as you don't leave it on when you aren't in the car. Not sure what you could have done with the other wiring you messed with for this symptom to develop.
73 Cuda 440/500hp
71 Javelin in progress

mauibarber

Under further investigation I think I have a Previous Owner problem.  Car is a 69 Charger.

Heres what happens.  When the bulb is in my dome light the stereo comes on with the door closed.  If I take the dome light out the stereo will not come on.  My dome light wires (both the positive and negative) are hot with the door closed.  Also who ever wired my dome light up does not have it connected to the fuse box.  I believe that the dome light is wired up direct to something it should not be which is causing everything in the car that comes off the accessory power to go hot.  Many other accessories are hot with the dome light in including my ampmeter. 

In fact the whole car is hot with the dome light in.  We connected a tester light to ground and touched the pointer to the car and it lit up  :o

And remember this is with no key in the ignition.   :brickwall:

Tomorrow I'm going to trace the positive and ground wire on the dome light and see where it goes.  Its very strange to have the dome light effect the whole car.  With the bulb out the car is normal again.  I've had issue with this dome light since I purchased the car.

-Alex