News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Lokar Kickdown Cable

Started by flyinlow, February 26, 2009, 12:55:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flyinlow

I was thinking about using a Lokar cable to replace my kickdown rod. I have an Edelbrock rpm intake on a 440 with a 518 trans. I was using the stock one piece rod that I lengthened to operate the 727 trans ,but It dose not work that well with the 518 trans that uses a TV cable. I switched the throttle pressure lever from the 727 to the 518. The geometry does not match that well

Does the Lokar attach to the bottom of the carb bracket so it will pull as the throttle opens?

Does it make a u turn at the trans to pull the throttle pressure lever?

Ghoste

I have a separate bracket that mounts to the carb for the Lokar and yes, it does a U-turn at the back of the trans.

62 Max

I lengthened/modified a one piece rod for the 65 cable shift 727 in my wagon.Used original throttle pressure lever and throttle bracket from Dynamic Innovations in WI.Works gread.Had considered the cable from Lokar and Bouchillon Perf.but don't care for the looks of the brackets.This one is designed as an original and looks as such.Bracket also works well with a high rise intake.If I had went the other route,I would have went with the Bouchillon,I think is a better design. :Twocents:

flyinlow

I have been fiddling with the one piece rod. The arc angles are differrent from the carb and the throttle preasure arm. So far I cant get it to work right at both ends of the swing. It either upshifts very late at part throttle or won't kickdown if I adjust it the other way. May have to modify the throttle preasure arm. With a cable I could move the attachment braket to change the arc angle.

John_Kunkel

If you're trying to make factory linkage work with an aftermarket carb you need to get the Mopar throttle lever adapter for that brand of carb.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

flyinlow

Have the addaptor for the Eddy 800 eps and for the holley 750. The thermoquad on the SD intake was low enough it worked with the 727 trans .

Right now I have the performer rpm and the Edelbrock carb on. The rod I started with was the one that came with the car 318/904. The 518 trans used a cable that pulled the throttle preasure lever from the back of the trans.  I thought the Lokar cable might give me more flexabilaty in getting the ajustment right.

John_Kunkel

I've gone on record several times as disliking the Lokar cable setup, to make it work correctly you'll be doing the same drill matching the lever travels as you would trying to make the linkage geometery correct.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.