News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

oil,temp fuel guage

Started by mally69, September 02, 2008, 08:56:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mally69

Ok I stopped to get gas yesterday and when I started up my car, the guages all light up its just the needle in the oil pressure, temperature and fuel guage doesn't move. But it was working right befroe I shut off the car.  Any quick ideas as to what happend?

resq302

Could be a bad ground or the float could have a hole in it and sank after filling with gas.  Try taking the sending unit wire off and grounding it with the key on for a brief second and see if the needle for the fuel gauge moves.  If it does, you have a bad or dirty ground.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

mally69

ok ill try it, but they all quit at the same time.. :scratchchin:

Dans 68

Probably what they all have in common...the ground, as resq302 said first. Pull the instrument panel out, examine all the connections, and re-assemble. Should work.  :2thumbs:

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

resq302

oops misread the problem.  Thought it was ONLY the fuel gauge that did not work.  Sorry.... my bad.  Two things that all of those gauges have in common is they feed off of the same power circut and all utiilize a ground.  It kinda sounds like your voltage limiter on the back of your cluster might have went bad.  Good thing it failed like that and they don't move.  Otherwise if they failed in the other position, you wold burn your gauges out as they would get the full 12 volts.  The voltage limiter is like a set of mechanical points that open and close reducing voltage from 12 volts to an average of something like 5 or 6 volts.  The good news is that there is a way to convert this to a solid state regulator so the guages would not only respond faster but should give you a better, more accurate reading.  It was either on here or on moparts.com that had a diagram and the list of parts needed that you could pick up at radio shack or some other electronics store.

Hope this helps.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

mally69

Ok thanks guys ill check into it  :2thumbs: