News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

72 400?

Started by pullrock, August 16, 2008, 05:10:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pullrock

Hello Charger fans,

Have a question about an engine that recently purchased.  it's a 400 engine that was pulled from a 1972 Plymouth Satellite Police car (that is what I was told).  Here is the question.  On the side of the block it has 36986930-400-5.  What does the 5 stand for :shruggy:  I have found reference to -2, -4 and -6 but not sure what the 5 means?  Is this anything special?  What will I found when I pull this a part?  I want to use the block to build a Stroker for the street.

Thanks,

Eric
68 Charger R/T

AKcharger

Not sure but There are a bunch of rumors out there bout which blocks are best (some say '71 blocks are thicker) after talk to a BUCH of people I think their all about the same...some better than others but not based on a specific "year" of manufacture

Have fun

AK

''72 rallye 400/470

RD

"-5",  if i am not mistaken, is the 5th mold used by the foundry.

the molds become brittle after so many castings so they have to switch them with new ones.  I believe the 5 stands for 5th mold they used to cast the engine blocks.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

John_Kunkel

The dash number is called the Core Casting Index Number, it is the number of core plugs that were changed in the casting core.

It's thought that a higher number has a higher chance of having core shift but it's never been proven.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

pullrock

Thanks for all the good info...  It sounds like I just have a regular 400. :icon_smile_big: