News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Underside of car?

Started by Fitz73Chrgr, July 31, 2007, 06:42:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fitz73Chrgr

Anyone have any pictures of what the underside of the 3rd gen is supposed to look like?  I've been scraping the undercoating off the car, and noticed that the bottom of the car is flat black, in the center of the car it is anyway.  I haven't scraped any off the edges of the underside yet.  I've seen alot of cars at shows with body color undersides.  Which is correct? 
'73 Charger - project                '70 Charger - driver                 '66 Charger - survivor

Resto thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89803.msg1019541.html#msg1019541

400/6/PAC

Dont quote on this as I'm a newbi to restoring my 73.
the under side My car was black, with what looked like sprayed under coating.
I really doubt that the car would have come from the factory with color coat on the under side.
over spray mabey.
Is your car flat black?
Do you think the under coat looks like the paint on the car?
I'll send you pics of mine if you need them.

Fitz73Chrgr

My car is bronze.  The part that I'm looking at is completly free of any undercoating.  I cleaned it with a propane torch and a scraper, then went back over it with carb cleaner.  I know alot of concours show cars have primer undersides with overspray.  Could the primer have been black? 
'73 Charger - project                '70 Charger - driver                 '66 Charger - survivor

Resto thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89803.msg1019541.html#msg1019541

400/6/PAC

I guess I'm not the one that can tell you for sure.
I never saw any color under my car but I didn't remove the undercoat like you did.
I wonder if they were coated different for different rigeons.

hemi-hampton

I think the factory used different primer colors depending on what color the car was suppose to be. Lighter primer for lighter colors & darker primer for darker colors, ect, ect but have no proof or no technical bulletin just a hunch from what I've seen restoring cars. LEON.

bordin34

For my 74 Se the primer is brown.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

73chargers4404

everyone ive seen have been black ,where in Missouri do you live im in springfield mo

Fitz73Chrgr

Resto thread:

Fitz73Chrgr

Ok, the underside of the car has been sandblasted, and the engine bay and inteior have been scuffed with all surface rust removed.  Thus, I do not need POR-15, correct?  I should use epoxy primer, right?

Resto thread:

ViperRedCharger

Hello,

I scrapped off my undercoating just like you did under my car then I had it sandblasted.  I prepped the metal then I Por-15 underneath, inside the car and engine compartment.  I bought the Por-15 Primer that goes over the Por-15 then I applied Epoxy primer over that.  I loaded my car up with Por-15 that is some great stuff.  Its up too you how far you want to go with the Por-15.  Make sure if you spray Por-15 to cover your body up and have a good respirator,  that stuff will make you sick.  Have a good evening.

By the way my car was Gold originally and the entire underside was Gold.

Best regards,

Eric 

hemi-hampton

If you have clean metal with no rust then there is no need for POR-15 or any other similar stuff like Rust Mort or Rust Encarpsulator, ect. The method I use is Sand bare clean metal with 80 grit or 150 with DA Sander (by hand in tight areas) & only if time allows. Then blow off, wax & grease remove, Use Self Etching Wash Primer, Then Epoxy prime. Or some just use epoxy prime. Some just blow off & epoxy prime. Just my opinion, I'm sure others will disagree. LEON.

2harleyriders

Fitz, I live here in Ballwin MO.  Mine was body color under the whole under side under the under coating.  I melted off the under coat and then sand blasted, or wire brushed down to bare metal and used same process as Leon described.  No por15.  I painted the under side all black and then a light coat of new under coat.  I am going to drive this car and was looking for protection but I think the proper way is to paint body color.
Thats how I roll.

ViperRedCharger

Fitz,

You can still POR-15 and paint your car any color you want where you have the POR-15 providing you apply the POR -15 primer.  That stuff stops rust and seals the metal.  JMO!!!

Fitz73Chrgr

Ok, what size tip should be used for spraying primer? 

What about for single stage color?

Base coat/clear coat?

I have no experience painting, so I appreciate all of the help you guys give me!  :cheers:

Resto thread:

hemi-hampton

I'd say a bigger tip like 1.8-2.0 for Primer but just my opinion. :Twocents: LEON.

Fitz73Chrgr

The car will be on jackstands when the understand is painted.  Is it possible to use a gravity feed, or should I go the sure route and use a suction feed gun?

Resto thread:

hemi-hampton

In that case best to use a Pressure pot. You can buy a cheap one for $150 bucks. LEON.