News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

steering column question

Started by AKcharger, July 14, 2007, 04:51:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AKcharger

are power steering and non power steering columns interchangable? where is the part number found on the column?

Thanks!

Chatt69chgr

The steering shaft is longer on one-------I think the manual steering shaft is longer.  Otherwise, I think they are the same.  I also think you can interchange the steering shafts.  But someone more knowledgeable than me will have to confirm all of this.

Chryco Psycho

yes the shaft alone cn be changed but the manual is a longer shaft , Firm feel has a steering column adapter to lengthen the shaft going from power to manual , the other way you need the shorter shaft

AKcharger

Copy, know where I can find the part #? I'm selling a column to another member on the board and he needs a PS one...I'm not sure which one I have

chargerguy111

Is it also possible to interchange shafts from a manual to a power steering.I already have the gear box.I thought I was going to have to buy a whole new steering column!Does this take a kit?If so,where can I get one?Thanks.

Nacho-RT74

NOTE... COUPLER SPLINE STUD IS DIFF DIAMETER... manual is bigger than powered
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Rolling_Thunder

you can swap shafts from a manual to a power to convert it but you will also need a different coupler.

The other alternative is a Flaming River column adapter...    to install this I pull the shaft, press out the pin, and install the new shaft extension, cit to legnth, and install the universal joint...
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip