News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

The proper method of doing burn outs

Started by AKcharger, October 25, 2008, 03:26:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AKcharger

Guys this might seems simple...mash the peddal or hold the brake AND mash the peddel, however I really don't fell like destroying my transmission. Are smokeshows a job for line lock or do people just dial down there rear brake shoes? I'm thinking if your rear brakes were fully engaged it would shave a LOT of life off the trans each time you did that.

AK

Drache

I know a few guys who have automatic trannies that just put it in neutral and rev the engine while holding the break then when the RPM's are high, they release the break and gas, throw the car into drive, and put the gas to the floor. I always figured this would be a good way to break a tranny.....  :shruggy:
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

John_Kunkel

The above procedure (called a "Neutral Drop") can lead to this.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Drache

Quote from: John_Kunkel on October 25, 2008, 04:50:18 PM
The above procedure (called a "Neutral Drop") can lead to this.

Like I said, always figured it could lead to a broken tranny but a broken FOOT?!  :o
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

FLG

Line lock does work great, id say it does help the tranny but more so the rear shoes and drums.

I think for the occasional burnout you have nothing to worry about. If your doing this regularly or are going for popped tires at a competition then its time to invest in line lock or more importantly a good tranny cooler. The main killers of transmissions (besides the obvious neutral drops  :rofl: ) is heat. Keep it cool and it will live longer. Also have a beefy tranny like a 727 will help.

Also add some water on the floor and she will spin easier....alot more smoke too  :2thumbs:

Drache

so what IS the best way to burn the tires with an auto tranny?  :shruggy:
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

FLG

Power braking, with or with or without line lock is the ONLY way.

Anything else is just a peeling out.

Heres a small one with my 73

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5dIJX2ZqQ8

Drache

Quote from: FLG on October 25, 2008, 11:46:08 PM

I wouldn't mind of having a line lock out onto the Aspen before all this crap except the cost. My cousin got one installed and said it set him back about $1000....  :'(

So can you explain how power braking is done for the dunces here?  :icon_smile_big:
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

FLG

Pretty much as AK explained.

Hold the brake, press the gas till you you get the tires spinnin and back off the brake just enough to keep the car in place and enjoy the smoke  :2thumbs:

If your using a manual car you need to drop the clutch, and get on the brake enough to keep the car in place.

Dont know where you cousin went but line lock kits alone only cost around 150-200 or so last i checked and arnt very hard to install yourself.

BTW sorry to hear about the aspen, hope all turns out well

Drache

Quote from: FLG on October 26, 2008, 12:12:48 AM
Pretty much as AK explained.

Hold the brake, press the gas till you you get the tires spinnin and back off the brake just enough to keep the car in place and enjoy the smoke  :2thumbs:

If your using a manual car you need to drop the clutch, and get on the brake enough to keep the car in place.

Dont know where you cousin went but line lock kits alone only cost around 150-200 or so last i checked and arnt very hard to install yourself.

BTW sorry to hear about the aspen, hope all turns out well

My cousin had it done about 10 years ago and had it "professionally" installed at a local racing shop.

Im hoping for the best for the Aspen but Im not going to hold my breath... it's times like this I like being a pessimist, expect the worst!  :-\
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

AKcharger

In A somewhat related question...is Kumho the only company that makes the colored smoke tires?

FLG

As far as ive seen...yes but i havent looked much. Hate that there low profile tires, from what ive seen they really dont have nice looking tires for the look most of us have but some of the touring cars or the ones with the nicer rims would probably sport them fairly well.

RD

Quote from: Drache on October 26, 2008, 12:00:35 AM
Quote from: FLG on October 25, 2008, 11:46:08 PM

I wouldn't mind of having a line lock out onto the Aspen before all this crap except the cost. My cousin got one installed and said it set him back about $1000....  :'(

So can you explain how power braking is done for the dunces here?  :icon_smile_big:

biondi racing makes a setup that cost $70 i believe.  you can hook it up yourself.  if your cousin spent a $1000... he was robbed.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

John_Kunkel

Hooking up a line lock valve to the front system of a car with a dual brake system will usually cause the brake warning light to illuminate and often will cause the differential piston to stay to one side after the valve is deenergized.

If the line lock valve is installed in the rear system, downstream of the prop/combo valve, the warning system won't know it's there when activated. This setup calls for energizing the line lock before the brakes are applied, not after.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

FLG

John,

Thats exactly how ive been told and how i am going to set up my system when the time comes. Not only does it do what you posted...but you now can move around a bit while your doing your burnout instead of sitting in one spot if you want too.

SLIKK 70

For all the novices out there...don't forget to look at the tach.
First hand experience 33 years ago. if you don't ....it may lead to 15 bent push rods and 1 broken. :brickwall:

FLG

We talking auto or manual?

Unless you left the auto in first (DONT do that when burning out) leave it in 2nd. How did you manage that? Autos will shift to 2nd gear so im assuming its a manual?