News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68 charger 3 speed wiper question ALL 3 SPEEDS ARE THE SAME!?!?!?

Started by Charger-Bodie, June 18, 2007, 06:37:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger-Bodie

I installed my rebuilt Jules wiper motor tonight and it works in all 3 switch positions but at the same speed in each , they park great and everything .Can anyone tell me if its the switch or what??
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Nacho-RT74

I'm wondering if 3 speeds and variable speeds motors are really the same and just switch difference or variable and 3 speeds setups are different on both stuff ( switch and motor )
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

Just 6T9 CHGR

Im not sure but I thought the resistance was in the switch that changed the speeds?  Jules would be the man to ask though
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Nacho-RT74

not on 2 speeds, but mostly sure you are right on 3 speeds.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Chatt69chgr

I am not sure about this and would really like for someone more knowledgeable to explain but my understanding is that on the 3-speed wiper:

The high speed has no resistor and runs directly off 12 volts.
The lowest speed uses the large blocky resistor attached to the side of the 3-speed wiper switch.
The middle speed has the resistor as part of the wiring going to the switch.

This may not be the case.  It could be that you are switching to different windings in the motor at different swith positions.   

Someone that has converted a two speed to a three speed would know the answer because if all they did was put in a three speed wiper and a three speed wiper switch and the wiring was not changed then the differences have to be in these two components------and I don't think their are any resistors buried inside the wiper switch (on the dash). 

supserdave

Did your car originally have 3 speed wipers? Maybe the wiring plug that goes to the switch is different?

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: supserdave on June 19, 2007, 11:42:34 AM
Did your car originally have 3 speed wipers? Maybe the wiring plug that goes to the switch is different?

it did have them originally . i talked with Rick today and he said its probobly working right and that i cant see the diff in speeds cause the w/s is dry and draging the wiper so ill try taking the wipers off and see what that does .

4cruzin

Tomorrow is promised to NOBODY . . . .

bull

Corellian Corvette

If your switch is bad, they will all run at the same speed. (it was so long ago, I can't remember which speed)

If you take the wiper arms off, you can HEAR the different speeds as the motor goes faster. If you go from slow to fast (skip middle) you could tell the difference.

Charger-Bodie

It was in the motor itself....I had to remove it and have it fixed. All is fine now.