News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How to prove that I have a 69 charger???

Started by Tarzan, June 22, 2008, 02:43:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tarzan

What proves that I have a 69 charger and not a 68 charger except shifter,grill and lights rear?

Whats the difference interior and exterior???

A guy asked me if my car was converted from a 68 charger to a 69, which I was sure of but could someone name a few differences please ???

JimShine

Your VIN will tell you

XP29F9B as an example

X = Dodge Charger
P = Premium
29 = 2 Door Sports Hardtop
F = 318
9 = 1969
B = Dodge Main, Hamtramck, MI, USA

So look at the 6th character in your VIN. If it is a 9, it is a 1969, 8, and it is a 1968.

Finn

Just interior wise the seats have a different pattern and the dash bezels are a different style also.
That stuff can be changed though. I myself thought I had an original sheet metal 68 until someone pointed out that it had 70 doors (something about lock location??)  ::).
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

Ghoste

68 has the door lock button near the back of the door and in 69 they moved it closer to the center.  You might also note that a 68 would have wiring going to the marker lights, even if someone changed them to 69 style reflectors chances are the wiring for the 68 side lights would still be there.

Chatt69chgr

I believe the VIN on 69's is stamped on the left trunk lip but not sure.  You are looking for something that wouldn't easily be changed I assume.  That suggestion about the marker lights wiring is a good one assuming the whole car had not been rewired. 

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: Chatt69chgr on June 24, 2008, 02:20:38 PM
I believe the VIN on 69's is stamped on the left trunk lip but not sure.  You are looking for something that wouldn't easily be changed I assume.  That suggestion about the marker lights wiring is a good one assuming the whole car had not been rewired. 

Under the weatherstripping....Only the last 8 digits but yes it can be an indication because the 1st digit would denote the model year  (the first of the 8 total....for ex 9B101001)
Also stamped on the rad support
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Brock Samson

'68 dashpad had a peak in the center while the '69s were flat all the way across,.. that would be a pretty hardcore change to make...

Finn

1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

Nacho-RT74

lock knob is completely on rear of door on 68 and more to center to easier acces once you are sat on 69.

Ribbed cluster surface on 68 and vinyl grain on 69

parking lights keeps on on 69 and turns off on 68 when turn on headlights. Diff is on underdash harness with a jumper on lights switch plug on 69

ribbed silver console top on 68 and woodgrained on 69

68 glove box door opens to up, for a while 69 goes down ( or was on 70 when was made that change ? :shruggy: )

of course seat covers, 68 with pleats.

no wires to sidemarkers on 69

lettering on knobs of A/C controls-heater on 69 for a while extra bezel with lettering on 68

If rear deffog equiped... switch on cluster on 68 for a while 69 is an extra knob at a side of A/C controls and reads TOP to convertable cars on back of knob ( uses same switch just reversing the position )

middle of 69 production bumper guards were elongated

headlight bezels on 68 to continue the grill shape.

Charger and arrow emblems on headlight door on 68, for a while charger on grille and arrow on door on 69

68 with small ignition key cilinder, 69 with bigger cilinder and unique production year

don't rmember another one or I could be making a mistake on some what I told

Otherwise I think quarter panel job is hard to make it not noticeable about sidemarkers mods

and of course the regular diff already noticed from the distance
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

darrin75

:2thumbs:  Why not carry the damn title with you.
Check out New Upcoming site.
http://www.mopartraffic.com

Ghoste

Glovebox doors were the same in 68 and 69, the ashtray doors on the other hand...

Nacho-RT74

the was in 70 the change.

Oh yes, I remember now there is somekind of difference on ashtray, but dunno exactly what
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

JimShine

I don't like to base the year of a car solely off of parts. Too many have been cobbled together over the years for that to be a surefire method of identification.