News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Mud in Coolant Overflow Tank

Started by bordin34, June 04, 2008, 06:32:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bordin34

Is it normal for there to be mud in the coolant overflow tank. Today I removed mine to clean it and there was enough mud caked on the bottom and sides to make a tennis ball sized glob. I assume that it has never been cleaned before. I got out all I could and now the tank is soaking in bleach. The coolant that poured out of it was a greyish nasty green. Also, any recommendations for getting anything the bleach doesn't get out. Right now I am thinking almost straight simple green and letting it soak.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

RD

its not mud, but rather a rust that has bonded to other materials.  flush your system.  any (decent) local mechanics shop has a machine that will flush and clean your system for a reasonable charge.  well worth it.  i used to flush coolant systems at a shop i worked at.  30 min and its done,... nice and clean.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

hutch

Quote from: RD on June 04, 2008, 07:05:22 PM
its not mud, but rather a rust that has bonded to other materials.  flush your system.  any (decent) local mechanics shop has a machine that will flush and clean your system for a reasonable charge.  well worth it.  i used to flush coolant systems at a shop i worked at.  30 min and its done,... nice and clean.

It will do that too if you use a "heavy water" from a well or some souce in your system.  The same thing is in the bottom of most hot water heaters as well.

In the words of Colonel Sanders,,,   "I'm too drunk,,, to taste this chicken"

bordin34

Is there an easy way to remove it from the inside of my overflow tank, bleach did nothing except make the plastic whiter, which is what I wanted it to do.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

hutch

Quote from: bordin34 on June 05, 2008, 02:21:41 PM
Is there an easy way to remove it from the inside of my overflow tank, bleach did nothing except make the plastic whiter, which is what I wanted it to do.

You could swtich to a stainless steel overflow.  I think this is just going to keep happening but should not be any big deal if you get your system flushed every so often.
In the words of Colonel Sanders,,,   "I'm too drunk,,, to taste this chicken"