News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

speaking of General Lee clones, who makes one that is reputable?

Started by HKCharger, June 15, 2008, 07:40:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HKCharger

We all know of HLPAG's trash, but on the flip side, who makes reputable ones?

JimShine

Any local body shop that can spray orange paint? The rest is just decals. The only real mod will be installing a pushbar and a a fake rollbar if you chose to have one. There is no rocket science to building a General Lee. It only gets tricky if you want one that looks like an early car, but even then, the platform begins the same way and its the final touches that make the difference.

sick dawg

Here are some people to check out.  Never heard a bad thing about either of them.

www.smithbrosrestorations.com

www.scotleaidolrods.com

Mike DC

They're both good & honest places to work with.   

The Smiths know how to build GL replicas that are about as close to the actual TV prop cars as you'd ever want. Their interior vinyl matches the TV cars' sprayed-on color instead of Mopar 1969 Saddle Tan, etc.

Scot-rods does something that's slightly less screen-correct and more of a practical GL street cruiser.  Factory '69 tan interior shade, big aftermarket aluminum radiator, modern guages, etc.

Both of these builders are open to changes & custom touches, I'm just listing what they tend to do most often.

police1

the only thing that gets me is these "builders" are trying to get $30,000 plus. i honestly can't see putting that kind of money in a "general lee". i have one myself but for that kind of money i would much rather have one done all original... :shruggy: :shruggy:

Mike DC

I hear ya. 

But that's pretty much the same thing most of the hobby as been saying about most of the classic musclecars ever since about 1988.

Big Lebowski

When I worked at a Mopar resto shop, we turned a nice General Lee back into a Charger for a POD band member. It was dark almost violet candy apple red with POD art on it. Sick.
"Let me explain something to you, um i am not Mr. Lebowski, you're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the dude, so that's what you call me. That or his dudeness, or duder, or you know, el duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."