News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Piston stop issues

Started by toupee, May 29, 2008, 07:49:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toupee

Hey all.  I ordered a proform piston stop from summit to find top dead center on my 383.  906 heads.  The piston stop does not thread properly into the plug hole.  It seems to be too big.  I Contacted summit and they sent me another one.  Same problem. Anybody else had problems like this with these stops?

metallicareload99

I had a similar problem with my POS MoPar Performance piston stop.   :eyes:  It seemed too big, or different amount of TPI than the spark plug hole.  I haven't tried to use it since.  Thanks MP   :brickwall:
1968, When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth

lazarus

Comp Cams sells a couple different size stops. Mine is an MP with a longer bolt for the stop. Works fine with my Edelbrock heads.

Nacho-RT74

piston stop? whats that ?
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

aifilaw

its what people with money buy... we use pencils, pens, brazing rods, welding rods... or whatever else fits in the hole :)
'72 B5 Metallic Blue Hardtop
426" Wedge - Hydraulic Roller Stealth heads

toupee

:lol:
I ended up using a wratchet extension after I sent the stops back.  I was cheaper so I guess I'm not upset that the piston stops didn't fit  ;D

375instroke

I removed the center of a spark plug with a hammer, tapped the metal threaded part, and screwed a bolt I rounded off the end of through the center.

Ghoste

I have a stop from MP that works fine but I've had it for quite a while now so maybe the older ones were different.  What I need to be looking for though is all this money I evidently have.  :D

mikepmcs

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on June 06, 2008, 01:29:54 PM
piston stop? whats that ?

Provide a positive stop for the piston when locating true TDC (Top Dead Center), for camshaft degreeing. Made to screw directly into the cylinder head spark plug hole. Machined from brass to prevent piston damage, and incorporating an air bleed hold to prevent compression build-up while turning the engine over.

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?