News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

question from just a novice to engine experts

Started by metcoll, May 21, 2008, 05:55:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

metcoll

if a stock 440 magnum from 1970 had approx. 375 hp & 480 torque, could you not expect to get 450  to 475 hp from leaving the heads stock, but changing to an aggresive cam, a nice eddy rpm intake 750 dbl. pump carb, some headers and a good ignition set-up...

RECHRGD

Quote from: metcoll on May 21, 2008, 05:55:00 AM
if a stock 440 magnum from 1970 had approx. 375 hp & 480 torque, could you not expect to get 450 to 475 hp from leaving the heads stock, but changing to an aggresive cam, a nice eddy rpm intake 750 dbl. pump carb, some headers and a good ignition set-up...

Well, I'm not the expert on this board by any stretch of the imagination, BUT----The "aggressive cam" along with a better intake, carb and headers all improve the ability of the engine to breath better for more power.  Leaving the heads stock will only impede the increased flow potential of the other upgrades.  You most likely will need to do work on the valvetrain anyway for an aggressive cam.  So, why not get some decent heads while you're doing this?  In answer to your question---Yes, you should gain some power depending on the cam you choose.  Maybe 425 or so.  Do the same along with better flowing heads and you'll be getter closer to 500hp.   :Twocents:  Bob
13.53 @ 105.32