News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Flex plate torque converter help please?

Started by wetfeetmi, May 15, 2008, 02:26:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wetfeetmi

I am using an '84 318" truck motor in my Daytona clone and my '72 727 torque converter won't mate to the flex plate. I ordered new "correct" plate from Napa and it is identical to the one I had on the motor in the first place. I ordered another and it was 11" instead of the 10" that came with my rebuilt 727. I am at a loss as to what to do next. The hub on the converter butts up against the crank and leaves about 1/4" gap between the 4 converter bolts and the flex plate.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Rick

John_Kunkel

Have you measured the register bore in the crank and compared it to the hub on the converter? The converter hub should be 1.810" and the register bore slightly larger.

If the converter hub measures OK, the crank bore may be damaged or it might be a standard shift crank; some stick shift cranks will have an unfinished register bore.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

wetfeetmi

The hub slides into the crank, but bottoms out against it. The 318 had an automatic bolted to it when I took it apart, but I am not using that trans. I am using a 727 (1972) that I had rebuilt. I thought this combo would bolt together.

John_Kunkel

The crank register should measure about .650" deep, if it does the converter hub is too long.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.