News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Pictures Needed of 68 69 70 interior differances

Started by G-man, April 23, 2008, 07:06:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

G-man

Hi

Im after pictures of 68 Charger interior/69 Charger interior/70 Charger interior.

And a brief description of the "differences" (such as door mouldings, patern etc etc)

Ghoste

There are no shortage of pics on here to help you but a few quickies on the differences would be the pattern in the seats, the seats themselves in 70 (they went to a highback), the pattern on the dash, the dashpad has a somewhat "pointed" section in the middle for 68, the door lock buttons are further back in 68, ignition switch moved to the column for 70, radio knobs changed for 70, glovebox door opened upwards in 68 and 69, door panels are very different for 70 with map pockets no longe being standard.  There are many many more.  Is there something in particular you're looking for?

TruckDriver

'68 had a typical hurst style shifter, '69 had a "s" shaped shifter, and '70 had the pistol grip shifter.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

keepat

69bronzeT5

'69 with the cloth insert seat option ;)
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

G-man

The 68 Seats had horizontal lines as a patern, and the 69 had the squares?

Rear seat the same as front on 68?

I noticed 69 has the removable rectangular head rests, does the 68 have it, just removed in pic or does not come with them?

Are the door mouldings the same between 68-69?

Wanted to basically see:

A: the door mouldings (patern, style etc)

B: dash (whole dash not just 1 side).

C: Headliner

Thats about it. Doesnt matter for gauges as I will get my own gauge face made in time.

Thanks

Ghoste

Yes.

Yes.

Optional in 68 and mandatory on cars built beginning in 1969 so optional on SOME 69's.

Top door pad is different because of the different lock button location.

Mike DC

If you're thinking of a year-to-year conversion, it's not very practical if you want all the smaller details correct. 

For as much as those interiors all looked alike at first glance, it's downright infuriating how many unimportant small things were changed from year to year.  It's almost as if they were purposely trying to make it a pain in the ass for restorers 40 years later.  (Like there are some parts where everything about a part looks & fits 100% the same for two years . . .  but they changed the grain or texture pattern on the vinyl/plastic surface.  AARRRGGHH!!!)

--------------------------------------------------------------

In the big picture, the '68 and the '69 interiors are pretty similar.  There was mainly just the different pattern on the seat vinyl and the headrests went from optional to mandatory in '69. (And then a bunch of small stuff.  The grain patterns mentioned above, the lock button locations on the doors, dashpad's edge went from pointed to flat, etc.)

The 1970 ones are more substantially different.  The entire front seat assemblies were different and the patterns on the seats and the door panels too.  The the ignition key moved from the dash to the column that year.  For that change Mopar found a reason to alter everything from the column itself, to the steering wheel, to the dash frame, to most of the padded vinyl pieces on the lower dash.  The headlight doors went to electric that year so the instrument cluster face's buttons were different there too . . .

G-man

I c

Thanks for the insight.

The door lock moved... u mean the thing u press to lock the door? (but the top of pad looks the same except the hole was in a different place due to the door lock being in a different place?)

Would anyone be able to provide a shot of the 69 dash and 68 dash front on, so I see how the flat/pointed dash looks, if thats not too much to ask?

Has anyone ever (when restoring a dash) stuck a 69 in replace of the 68?

That white circle on the doors, is that a light or what?

Sorry, im just so used to the challenger, u got 1 light, on the ceiling, thats it.

Hence im trying to work this charger out  :brickwall:

Chatt69chgr

I think the white circle on the doors you are talking about is the aluminum Charger emblem.  Note that the 68 dash had verticle ribbing impressed in the plastic facia.  The 69 went to a pebble grain texture.  I see no reason why you couldn't interchange 68 and 69 instrument panels but the rest of the dash plastic wouldn't match unless you were changing all of it at the same time.

Sixt8Chrgr

Quote from: keepat on April 23, 2008, 09:49:06 PM
Here is a 68 interior

Sweet Red interior over Silver....good looking ride.

UFO

On the '68 parts car I had the floor vent handles were round.'69 went to square handle.