News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Removing freeze plugs on a 69 Charger R/T.

Started by 69chargerman, April 25, 2008, 10:26:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

69chargerman

I'm not much of a mechanic so I hope someone can help me.  I need to know if there is a easy way of taking out freeze plugs. I need to take out the rear freeze plug on the passenger side just above the headers. Some people say you need to take out the motor or loosen up the motor mounts and jack up the motor. Is this true?? The motor in it is a big block 440 4-speed. I just don't want to knock the freeze plug into the block. Thanks for any help at all !!

Mick70RR

I replaced the same plug in the car and I don't remember having to jack the engine up off the mounts. Getting it out was easy enough, I hit the side with a punch and it spun round so I could pull it out with pliers. Getting the new one in was not so easy. I used a socket that just fit inside the plug and managed to get it started with short hammer blows. To drive it in I used a long socket extension, problem was I had to hold the extension at an angle to the socket but I could get a good swing with the hammer.
1970 Road Runner, 505 cid, 4 speed, GV overdrive, 3.91 gears
11.98 @ 117 on street treads