News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How much added Horsepower?

Started by Blacknight, April 17, 2008, 04:15:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blacknight

I have my 1970 dodge charger with stock manifolds. I am thinking about getting a set of headers with a three inch exhaust how much added horsepower will that give me?

Just 6T9 CHGR

Headers will definitely give you some ponies....most say at least 50HP

The 3" exhaust might hurt performance unless your engine needs a 3" exhaust (high HP)

2.5" suffices for most street cars :Twocents:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Musicman

Headers are a big improvement, but you do need to get the right pipe diameter and runner length to work with your build...

TexasStroker

The exact gains will hinge around other aspects, but for the sake of being simple...it should be more than noticeable!  Similarly getting a nice full exhaust with an "H" crossover or "X" pipe will improve scavenging and I'm also going to bet your aftermarket mufflers (guessing you'd go dynomax) will keep the flow moving. 

"Sounds" like a nice upgrade  :icon_smile_big:

If I remember correctly 2.5" pipes will suffice for up to 450HP, after that it is recommended to step up to 3" pipes.
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

firefighter3931

Like the others have said, headers make a big improvement. On a bone stock engine the gains should be in the 30-35 hp range and more as the engine combo gets stepped up. A good mandrel bent 2.5in x-pipe system with a free flowing muffler (Magnaflow/Ulraflow) will support up to 500hp. Beyond that threshold you should be looking at a full 3in system.  :Twocents:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs