News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

440 build opinions

Started by flyinlow, April 12, 2008, 10:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flyinlow

Its been 30 years since I have built a BB Mopar.  would like some advice. Want a Street car,lots of tork,driveable

73 Charger ,318,auto,81/4.
Went thru chassie, brakes,steering,new HD mopar springs ,8 3/4 axle  (3.55 suregrip) ,now ready for fun stuff.'

'77 440 block,steel 72 steel crank,
reconditioned ly rods,arp bolts ,balanced
srp pistons .030 over 10.5 comp.
edelbrock rpm heads 84cc
lunati hyd cam 60303 .494/.513  268/276
performer rpm intake
thermoquad
727 trans,11inch conv./cooler... hope to install 518 next year

What headers will work with edelbrock  heads?
What size primaries
2.5 or 3 inch exhuast?
what sparkplug work best ?

64cubed

I have Edelbrock heads on my 440 and I'm running TTI 2 inch primaries. I think the general consenses is 1 7/8 is the best tube size for the 440 for street. I went with 2" cause I eventually I  will build a stroker and I dint want to buy these suckers again cause they are not cheap.. :lol: I had no fitments problems and the plugs are pretty easy to get out and no boot probs either I am running the 45 degree boots.
I have 3 inch exhaust with an x pipe to the mufflers then 2.5 inch out the back. I'm using the Champion j plugs. Hope this helps. :cheers:

flyinlow

Thanks.for the reply. I have a line on an almost new hooker supercomp set with 1 7/8 primarys and the guy was running them on Edelbrock heads.

Do you think the stock pushrods and rockers will work?  RPM <6000

mikesbbody

another vote for 1.7/8th headers but then again, if your going to stroke it later on...hopefully ron will see this and chime in re: the rest of your build. his advice is great! :2thumbs:

flyinlow

I  have not assembled the engine yet, but thought I would spend the money on an overdrive trans. and lower gearing instead of a stroker kit

firefighter3931

A 1 7/8in primary tube is the right size....the 2in will rob some torque. The Hooker Supercomps will work but plug clearance will be tight....i've seen a few cars with that head/header combination.

The NGK BCP6ES is what i would use with the RPM heads and pump gas compression.....this is a V-groove performance spark plug in the correct heat range for your application.  ;)

A 3in X-pipe with a free flowing muffler (Ultraflow/Magnaflow) would be my choice wen it comes to exhaust.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

flyinlow

By tight ,do you mean short plug/90 boot or would you have to dimple the tubes?
Is there a better fitting header?
The Edelbrock heads are stiill in the box, I looked a the Mopar alum. heads with straight plugs. The angle plugs are claimed to be worth 12 hp. according to Edelbrock. I considered the Stealth heads but thought the American made Edeys would be the better choice.
Do you know if the 3 in. X pipe would fit with a 518 trans?

firefighter3931

Quote from: flyinlow on April 14, 2008, 11:09:08 AM
By tight ,do you mean short plug/90 boot or would you have to dimple the tubes?
Is there a better fitting header?
The Edelbrock heads are stiill in the box, I looked a the Mopar alum. heads with straight plugs. The angle plugs are claimed to be worth 12 hp. according to Edelbrock. I considered the Stealth heads but thought the American made Edeys would be the better choice.
Do you know if the 3 in. X pipe would fit with a 518 trans?

The TTI's are the best fittng header....bar none  :2thumbs: They work great with angled plug heads and their exhaust systems are top shelf as well  :yesnod:

The Hookers are 30 year old designs that were orignally built in the days before angled plug heads were concieved. In some instances the tubes have to be clearanced for plug access and they can hit on the torsion bars causing more headaches and additional clearancing.

Not sure on the 518 clearance question....call TTI and ask them.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

flyinlow

Thanks for the tips . I visited the TTI web site ,the pictures of their 1 7/8 headers do look like they would clear the plus better.
The last 440 I built (30 years ago) used j11-y Champion on the iron head. The aluminum heads call for one range hotter rc12-y. Do aluminum heads run one range warmer?

firefighter3931

Quote from: flyinlow on April 16, 2008, 07:34:08 AM
Thanks for the tips . I visited the TTI web site ,the pictures of their 1 7/8 headers do look like they would clear the plus better.
The last 440 I built (30 years ago) used j11-y Champion on the iron head. The aluminum heads call for one range hotter rc12-y. Do aluminum heads run one range warmer?

The heat range really depends on the fuel octane rating and compression ratio. On the edelbrock heads the NGK 6 series work very well with pump gas compression levels. The BCP6ES is what i use and mine is a pump gas build. If the plug is too cold they will foul easily. Aluminum heads generally like a slightly warmer plug...all things being equal.

Ron