News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

truck drive train?

Started by rusty lee, April 10, 2008, 09:51:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rusty lee

I have a line on a cheap 4 speed out of a 70's 4x4 truck with a 360 motor will it work in a charger with a  440?  also is a Dana 60 from same truck worth while for a charger? I know the housing and axels won't work as it is an 8 lug but will the 3rd member work? I can get them both for cheap. the guy just wants the truck body not the drive train. thanks for any info. 

Ghoste

It isn't technically a 3rd member in the Dana, at least not as we generally understand them.  The differential assembly that is in there can be removed and reassembled into another housing or you can change out the axle tubes and axles in that housing and get spring perches rewelded on it.  The question is, is it worth the trouble?
I'm not sure on the trans but someone will know.  If you can get them for real cheap, somebody out there will most likely pay you for them.

rusty lee

I looked at moparts rear end  ID and saw a diagram of a dana 60 I see what you mean about the 3rd member. I never saw one in person always had front wheel drive cars. i'm not looking to make money just thought I found a way to upgrade my charger without breaking the bank. talked to a guy last week wanted $450. for a dana style  suregrip 3rd member. so if I could get an entire assemble for scrap cost thought I'd have a new rear. well maybe the trans will fit.  thanks for info

Ghoste

Well, you'd still probably come out cheaper than just picking up the phone and buying one made to order from DTS or someone.  Just know that it isn't a bolt in, there will be some messing around to do.

694spdRT

Because the truck has a Dana 60 it is a 3/4 ton. It depends on the year but the tranny for a 4 X 4 typically will have a different tailhousing that mounts the transfer case directly. The early 70's had divorced transfer cases. Either way the tranny is probably a top shift heavy duty NP435 granny low unit. That won't fit in your Charger and you wouldn't want to use it anyway.

If you want a cheap tranny look for a 833od out of a mid 70's through early 90's light duty 1/2 ton 2wd truck or van. It is close to a bolt in deal with very minor mods.

1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

rusty lee

kinda what I was expecting but thought I should verify. thanks for the answers.