News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Shifter cable fix

Started by DC68, March 31, 2008, 11:40:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DC68

Parked it into the garage the other day, and it stopped shifting.  Is this an easy fix for anyone that may have changed the shift cable before??  I suppose I'll have to purchase a custom piece, or is this generic enough I can pick it up at a local auto parts store?  Any other advice on the subject would be appreciated as well.

andy74

i assume you have a aftermarket shifter,the cables are pretty readily available from most parts places,i changed mine in the driveway in less than an hour,just make sure the adjustments are correct,you dont want to be stuck in 2 gears at once,that will frig stuff up

DC68

Yes it's a 3 speed pistol grip.  How did you go about making sure you had your adjustments properly in position?  I don't suppose there are markings, unless the former owner made his own?  I have yet to get under and take a look due to weather, etc...

lee

I had this happen to me with a rachet shifter it fell against the header and cooked it but I think you have to have it in its lowest gear  1 do it manuelly by hand push it all the way to the back and then hook it up then go through the gears if its b and m you should get directions with it I just took it out and put in mechanical stuff like the rod and clip and I have never looked back

73charger528cid

I had the same thing happen went on a long cruise with my wife we stopped to get something to eat couldn't get it out of park.
had to have my wife sit in the drivers seat with her foot on the brake while I manualy shifted it into drive from under the car. 

mine was to close to the exaust had to buy a longer cable and run it over the top of the trans and accross the dust shield to keep it away from the exhaust.

cable adjustment staight off the package of the extra cable I carry in my trunk.

put the trans in low gear and the shifter  low gear, set the swivel so it slides in and out the correct hole freely.
then move the trans and shifter to park(all the way the other way) then rotate the cable swivel until it slips in and out freely.
now go back and forth between park and low gear and fine tune.