News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Engine harness wiring

Started by cudadude013, March 31, 2008, 06:34:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cudadude013

I just wanted some confirmation that I'm doing something right. There was no wiring in there to start out with so I bought an engine harness from year one.

cudadude013

and then I have these loose ends... I couldn't find them on the diagrams. Any idea's guys?

1. grey in far back

2. brown wire

3. black wire with white tracer taped next to the purple wire

4 and the two green guys at the end there.

Hmmmm

cudadude013

another pic of the same thing...

cudadude013

Alt wired correct?

... I'm still trying to start this bad boy using correct wiring(I used to hot wire it and jump it from the starter relay).

71_deputy

I think you have a 68 Cuda?????

here is a wiring diagram for a 69- should be the same.

on your Nss post the plug is wrong for your year of car!!!!- that type started? I think in 1970 for the Nss plug.
1971 Deputy Challenger 383 4bbl-- 1 of 2 made!!
1967 Charger 440/auto
1973 Road Runner 340/4 speed
2000 1500 Ram Van

71_deputy

this looks ok- the green wire unhooked should go to the voltage reg in the back on the screw terminal
1967 Charger 440/auto
2000 1500 Ram Van

71_deputy

1. grey in far back- should be for the oil pressure switch or if the car has a tach- on the neg. side of coil

2. brown wire- could be for the windshield washer motor

3. black wire with white tracer taped next to the purple wire- ?????  factory diagrams don't have a black with white tracer !!!!

4 and the two green guys at the end there.- the two greens-none like that setup on factory diagrams either
1967 Charger 440/auto
2000 1500 Ram Van

Nacho-RT74

there is something wrong:

mechanical regulator and double field alt ? ( well more original single field maybe modified to double field :shruggy: )

I don't understand the wires at ballast. double blue yes I do... but blue spliced with gray ?

No Idea about the black, and purple wire with T plug and two green wires.

Purple normally goes to water sender

brown wire unhooked is washer reservoir

gray wire is oil sender.

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

71_deputy

*******note changes to this post- now wiring is making sense!!!!!!!

the car is a single field alt- the alt is a dual field one.- take the purple and I think it also has a black? wire too? off the alt terminal- take a spade wire to it and ground it to the case of the alt. to make it work. (that should be a voltage reg. for a mechanical one. now if it is a newer one for the dual field alt??? if it is a newer one for the dual field then the purple wire still is wrong- should be a blue wire.)

******* that purple/black wire is should go to the horn relay- this is +12 volts from the starter relay.  double green and other wire also goes to the horn relay!!!!

1967 Charger 440/auto
2000 1500 Ram Van

cudadude013

Thanks guys,

71_deputy-

its a 68 charger (my screen name comes from my '72 cuda (cc.com) :icon_smile_big:

and yes the purple and black wires both meet at the plug that connects into the ALT. even though it says only a black wire should connect.

alot doesn't seem to match up with the diagrams. year one has made things confusing once again.

3 purple wires yet only one comes from the bulkhead. odd. :P  1. ALT 2. temp and 3. loose end

and the brown won't reach the wiper motor with the others wires plugged in

Nacho-
that blue spliced with gray is just my poor quality camera. its actually blue and brown. And I'm with ya as far as being lost on the two loose green wires. :rotz:

histoy

I think that the plastic connector with the purple wire and 2 green wires goes to the horn relay, and so does the gray wire.  The 2 green wires connect to the horns.   As pointed out earlier, the brown wire goes to the washer pump mounted underneath the washer reservoir. 

In the first picture I believe that the wiring harness should fit into the purple clips (2 locations) on the firewall.