News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone installed a CD player in their dash

Started by Moparrulzzz, March 08, 2008, 08:29:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moparrulzzz

I have a '68 Coronet that I installed a '68 Charger dash in. I would like to install a CD player where the OEM radio goes. The paddock has a bezel and Cd player for 300+ bucks, A bit steep for a plastic bezel and 150$ CD player. They also have just the bezel and it 70 bucks and plastic. Can't tell on-line or catalog if it has the ribbed or pebble facing. I don't really want to mount it in the glove box.
Has anyone any ideas or pics on what they did or if they have used the mentioned paddock stuff.
Can anyone help me out on this.. Thnx :2thumbs:
Chuck

justin1987

The bezel from Paddock is a piece of crap. You can make one that looks a hell of a lot better. Save your money. There is no grain pattern on it and is flimsy as hell.

Moparrulzzz

Quote from: justin1987 on March 08, 2008, 10:48:36 PM
The bezel from Paddock is a piece of crap. You can make one that looks a hell of a lot better. Save your money. There is no grain pattern on it and is flimsy as hell.

I appreciate the heads up on the bezel. I was afraid it would be crap. I may just get some plex-glass or sheet metal and do some fab work. :cheers:
Chuck

2Gunz

I hacked up my original one (I know, I know)

I cut it to the new style size with a hot knife.

Then heated the whole thing with a torch to make it lay flat.

Here is a picture.

I took the trim piece of the head unit to you could kinda see the cut.

It looks perfect with the trim on and dusted lol.

I did this eight years ago and didnt car so much at that point if I ruined original parts.

If you do go this route.... go VERY slow or you will toast the plastic.

chargerboy69

I hacked up my radio faceplate too.

I will say is was not in the best of shape to begin with.
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

Moparrulzzz

Is the bezel the only thing supporting the radio. If so it would seem like it would be bouncing up and down pretty good.Did you reinforce it in any way?
  Thnx Chuck

2Gunz

The back of the radio has a bolt in it.

I attached some bailing wire above the radio and then onto the bolt on the back of the radio.

It works great.

4aThrill

you can always put the radio deck in the trunk.

terrible one

Cut mine up just like those above. Haven't put a player in their besides for a test fit. It's alright though because mine was cracked in half and already hacked up for a different tape deck, just wasn't quite big enough for the CD player to fit.

mike337

Just installed mine last night.  Same here.  I cut the original plastic and also the metal woodgrain plate.  I cut both using a DIN insert sleeve as a template, and cut it real close.  I made it a tight fit to keep any rattles down, and will fabricate a back brace for it today.

Mike