News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Charger Trunk Pans

Started by 440AirForce, January 26, 2008, 11:09:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

440AirForce

I know this topic was covered before, but couldn't find the link.  Looking for trunk pans, besides those offered from Paddock and Year One. Which has the best fit?

Thanks!

Whether or not I'm good at English is inimportant!

chargerman68

1968 CHARGER R/T CLONELOOKING FOR ANOTHER PROJECT 69-70 CHARGER SHELL

suntech

AMD is making them too, both in one piece and two piece. Need to have at least one rear quarter off, to fit the one piece.
Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

440AirForce

Quote from: chargerman68 on January 26, 2008, 11:14:50 PM
bought some from here worked great

http://stores.ebay.com/PARTS-UNLIMITED-LLC_W0QQssPageNameZstrkQ3amefsQ3amesstQQtZkm

Thanks!  The shipping charges from the other suppliers were ridiculous. They seem more reasonable.
Whether or not I'm good at English is inimportant!

daytonalo

How about if rear tail panel is removed as well as latch ?

suntech

QuoteHow about if rear tail panel is removed as well as latch ?

Good question!! That might work. Anybody measured the witdth of the floor, less extentions? If that measures less than the width of the tail panel, that should work fine!!
Never tryed, just was told that at least one quarter needed to go, to get a one piece floor in there.
Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: suntech on January 27, 2008, 10:44:02 AM
QuoteHow about if rear tail panel is removed as well as latch ?

Good question!! That might work. Anybody measured the witdth of the floor, less extentions? If that measures less than the width of the tail panel, that should work fine!!
Never tryed, just was told that at least one quarter needed to go, to get a one piece floor in there.

Actually, the complete trunk floor has to go in from the rear (tail panel out etc) It will not go in thru a 1/4 being off opening. Been there done that!

EDIT: unless of course you have the entire 1/4 off the car IE FULL replacements , not skins :Twocents:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Chatt69chgr

They are available from Sherman Auto Parts for $96.50 for the left half and $96.50 for the right half.

http://store.shermanparts.com/cgi-bin/sherman/product_list.html?img_num=171

daytonalo

I had to weld them together then do body work on seam to hide joint . It drives me nuts when I see cars at show with the seam showing there or the step where they welded on qtr skin , for gods sake spend an extra hour and do a little bodywork !!! It is all in the DETAILS !!! .

LARRY

suntech

Totally agree!
I am going to replace both full rear 1/4´s , because i am not happy about how they were patched, and i am picky enaugh to replace the tailpanel also, to slide in a one piece trunk floor!!
Rolf

daytonalo

It amazes me on how people go through trouble to replace metal and then not spend a few extra minutes to make it look like it was never replaced !!

chicken-deluxe

I'm in the midst of doing a trunk pan on my Hemi car.   I'm pissed at the quality of the 2 piece set that came from the Ohio Manufacturer.   The right side is not symetrical at all about the wheel tub and the 2 pieces don't center!   It seems that none of the available pans are manufactured with the Flange at the valence end of the floor.   

What are you guys doing if you remove the spotted edge flange from the valence.   Fabricate a flange on?   Is there a pan that has the flange?

AMD says that their pans will be dups fo factory!   The AMD's prcodut is not yet available!   They claim within 30 days.

http://www.hotrodrefinishers.com/black_hemi_charger.htm

Chris

bill440rt

I installed the 2-piece floor in my '69, sectioning them in before the axle hump. I thought they fit fairly well, but they did need a little finessing to get both halves to line up. It wasn't that big of a deal.
After the bodywork was finished, you can't tell they were ever 2 pieces. I didn't go too crazy underneath the car, most of the seam gets hidden by the gas tank.

Fortunately, the flange on the back at the rear valence was good on my car so I was able to save it. I basically cut the old floor out straight along the back, saving the flange. I dropped the new floor in on top of the flange & welded it up. Some goopy seam sealer applied sloppily just like factory hides the seam.
A new flange should be easy to fab if you have to. Both halves are under $200, I wonder what the AMD piece is gonna sell for?
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

hemi-hampton

If I remember right back in the 80's the Trunk floors were available both as a 1 piece & a 2 Piece. But because of the difficulty installing the one piece they were not selling many & as a result were discontinued. The 2 halves never line up, I make mine line up but noticed most dont. I hate seeing that welded line down the middle also, I see this all the time & wonder how people get away with that garbage?  LEON.

BlueSS454

I put the 2 piece in my 69 made by Sherman.  I must say it was one of the best fitting pieces of aftermarket sheetmetal I've ever worked with. Once it was welded in and I ground down the welds, I put a skim coat of filler over it so you can't see the seems or the plug welds.

Tom Rightler

Charger-Bodie

I like the idea of the 1 piece floors coming out, even if you need to cut them in half to get them in the opening, atleast they will fit back together for a nice butt weldinstead of the lap wed and the hit or miss fit of the 2 piece floor. also with the 1 piece floor you could use just the center if thats all you need ,and have one less seam to deal with.  :scratchchin:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

StockMan

Has anyone seen 18 gauge pans?  All I could find were the 20 gauge.