News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Carb problems, what would you do with this Holley?

Started by Paul G, May 10, 2008, 04:16:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul G

I have never been really pleased with how the 440 ran with the Holley 750 (3310) on it. BTW, it's a 73 Charger, 446, 727, K56 Engle cam, Stealth heads, Edelbrock RPM Airgap, HP exhaust manifolds, 2000 stahl, 3.55 gears.

I just swapped the Holley for an Edelbrock 1405 a buddy of mine let me borrow. I think the 1405 is only a 600 CFM carb though.

I can say the engine is night and day different with the Eddy. Adjusted the mixture screws and the idle smoothed right out. No hesitation, no spitting, no backfiring, just a nice smooth idle and good acceleration. Because the carb is so small there is night and day difference in performance as well. I can barely spin the 295's with the Eddy. BTW, the Holley got me 6.5 MPG on the last half tank of $4.00 91 octane!

Now what should I do? The car runs night and day better with the Edelbrock, just lacks power. My Holley leaks through the shaft bushings, idles rough no matter what, (disassembled it and cleaned it all up last summer) I cant get rid of the hesitation, Probably needs a complete overhaul, and re-jetting. Should I dump a bunch of money in the Holley and get it overhauled or just buy me an Edelbrock, or some other brand carb?

Thanks Guys.
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

FLG

Ron has posted pretty good things about proform carbs. Im sure he will chime in, but i would look into them.

Charger-Bodie

I pulled the eddy 800 avs off of my 505 and put on a 950 proform. the proform carb is AWESOME . They are top notch carbs with all the good parts. :Twocents:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

firefighter3931

Paul, your holley carb sounds like it's tired. Leaking throttle shafts denote excessive wear. It could also have warped metering blocks and/or baseplates and who knows what else.  :P

I like the Proform carbs....i recommended a 750 vac PF mainbody for Chris (just69charger) and it's working fantastic on his car. Idle cleaned up and vacuum increased. He's also running a combo almost identical to yours....manifolds, k56 cam, etc....

I would look at the Proform 750 vac secondary or the 750 double pumper.  :Twocents:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Chryco Psycho

I agree , the Holley sopunds worn out , try the Proform , they work great for me