News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Third member ID (got it!)

Started by terrible one, February 21, 2008, 11:37:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

terrible one

Is there any way, just from looking at it, that you can tell if a suregrip 8.75 unit is a clutch or cone type?

John_Kunkel

Cone type.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

John_Kunkel

Clutch type.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

NMike

cone type has big springs in it

Just 6T9 CHGR

Externally?  If the rear is from a 70 & up there will be an orange daub of paint near the fill plug to denote a Sure-Grip equipped carrier.
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

WM23N1G1

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on February 22, 2008, 07:32:27 PM
Externally?  If the rear is from a 70 & up there will be an orange daub of paint near the fill plug to denote a Sure-Grip equipped carrier.
Anything like that (I know it's rusted)?

There are strange yellow/orange marks :

I don't need any more info, I'm just curious.

terrible one

Well, here's why I was asking! Just got ahold of it! 3.55:1 clutch type suregrip unit, albeit in a 741 case, but it's getting mated with a mild build.  :drool5:

Bandit72

Quote from: terrible one on March 14, 2008, 09:53:33 AM

Well, here's why I was asking! Just got ahold of it! 3.55:1 clutch type suregrip unit, albeit in a 741 case, but it's getting mated with a mild build.  :drool5:

alot of people don't have problems with the 741 case...i've heard of alot of people running them behind pretty wild 440's....
Daddy ran whiskey in a big black dodge
bought it at an auction at the masons lodge,
Johnson County Sherriff painted on the side,
just shot a coat of primer then he looked inside,
well him and my uncle tore that engine down,
I still remember that rumblin' sound.....

firefighter3931

:iagree: The 741 is plenty strong...don't sweat it. The original max wedge race cars used the 741 with success.  ;)

That's a great score Jackson !  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

terrible one

Thanks Ron! Don't worry, the only think I'm going to be breaking loose is the tires!

gasoline_24

Sorry to high jack your thread, but which is better cone or clutch; 489, 741, 742?

Ghoste

The clutch ones can be rebuilt (properly) and tend to operate better overall than the cone type.  Generally the 489 is considered the toughest and the 742 next but there are many who reverse that order and both versions can be give good arguments for their opinion.
But the truth is that for the average street car, any of the 8.75 carriers and either style limited slip are going to be just fine.