News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Dodge challenger questioner, did you say yes back then and now say no?

Started by 1969chargerrtse, March 24, 2008, 05:21:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1969chargerrtse

How many of you were all excited back a few years ago when the new Challenger was running around as a prototype and filled out on-line questioners about if you would buy one if they built it, and now as time has past changed your mind?  I did, and feel guilty about it.  I checked off all the boxes saying Oh yea build it, I'll buy it.  But as time past I realized I wanted to stay with a classic and fulfill my dream to own a 69 charger and took that route.  How about you, are you guilty of that same sin?   :P
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

TeeWJay426

So far, yes.... but they haven't made one available the way I want it yet. I want one with a manual trans, and I prefer a convertible. I also refuse to pay any so-called 'availability charges'; I won't buy anything until I can get it for less than sticker....
74 Charger SE, 400 HP, 4-speed

hemihead

I did also but I don't feel guilty . Like as mentioned , they aren't building any the way I want . Plus , I didn't know they were going to be that big and ugly .
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

hutch

I said yes then and say no now. Its not my fault they priced the stupid thing out of my market.   Its going to be as common on the road as the viper.  Looks cool, would love to own one but just dont fall into the rich man bucket where I could shell out the bucks or pay the TAXES on something that cool.

In the words of Colonel Sanders,,,   "I'm too drunk,,, to taste this chicken"

PocketThunder

I stopped at the dealership on the way home the day they announced the Challenger was comming out.  I was ready to put money down.  But now i would rather keep my 69 just like you.  Maybe in 5 years i can find a deal on one, but i'd rather find a deal on a Viper.
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Ghoste

I still plan to buy one, I just have to wait for the overpriced hype to cool off.  Hopefully next year the availability will go up and the "special dealer premium markups" will go down.

xp29f8b

I still plan on buying one, but I'm going to wait until the price drops a bit.

moparchris

I just alked to my friend Bob Fredrick who runs Fredrick Dodge in  Ohio.  The 09 Challengers will offer a 6 speed manual trans and they will come in three flavors, S.E. starting in the low to mid 20's, an R/T with the 5.7 Hemi with the 6 spd option (375 h.p. when orderded with the stick) and the big boy SRT8 also with the stick option.  Bob will sell these without the dealer mark-up if you're interested,  I told him I will take an 09 SRT8 with the manual trans.  Look up his dealership on the web and call them if you're interested.

chargerkid

bzabodyn

Quote from: PocketThunder on March 24, 2008, 08:56:32 AM
I stopped at the dealership on the way home the day they announced the Challenger was comming out.  I was ready to put money down.  But now i would rather keep my 69 just like you.  Maybe in 5 years i can find a deal on one, but i'd rather find a deal on a Viper.

Same here - I think a 5-10k mile '96-97 Viper GTS is in my future well before the new Challenger for my $50 grand... and no manual = no new chally for me...

BZ
1969 Dodge Charger R/T - 426 HEMI/4 speed/Track Pack

69bronzeT5

When the idea first came out....I didnt care about buying it because I knew for sure that I couldnt afford it. All I cared about was seeing one in person and its still the same.
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Old Moparz

Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

694spdRT

I can't really remember what the choices were back then and I didn't have a child on the way. What I wanted at the time was a 5.7 Hemi with a stickshift. I knew the SRT8 would not really be in my price range or make much sense for a daily driver. I can get a SRT8 without a markup but realistically it would involve trading my truck off and that doesn't make much sense right now.

If the base R/T pricing comes in near where the Charger's are it still may happen in the next year or so. If not I will finish up my old Chally and run the wheels off that instead.     
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

Death1970Proof

Quote from: bzabodyn on March 24, 2008, 08:30:45 PM
Quote from: PocketThunder on March 24, 2008, 08:56:32 AM

Same here - I think a 5-10k mile '96-97 Viper GTS is in my future well before the new Challenger for my $50 grand... and no manual = no new chally for me...

BZ

Not to mention you can buy a pretty damn nice OLD school challenger for that kinda $$$$$- Worst part about it?? It's not a '70 nor will never be. Better design than the charger for sure but then again those will never be the flagship muscle cars that we love made from 66-74  :Twocents:

:cheers:
"Remember when I said this car was death proof? Well that wasnt' a lie-this car is 100%death proof- only to get the benefit of it honey you really need to be sitting in my seat"...

MoParMetal

Id rather buy a 71 Challenger and mod it the way i want it.
even if it costs more. no smog!

looking for another one
xbox gamertag: mprmtl

bull

Quote from: chargerkid on March 24, 2008, 12:04:23 PM
Are you guys referring to this?

You're really making the rounds with this BS. :lol:

Anyway, I was never asked and I seriously doubt Chrysler took that info very seriously. Basically it was just a means of adding more hype to the Challenger introduction IMO.

Ghoste

Oh I believe they use all of that information.  Just like when they went around to shopping malls asking housewives and teenagers which model they associated with Dodge and the name Charger proved most popular.  That was followed up by carefully asking the same demographic which you were most likely to buy and four door sedan won out.  Combining the two was what allowed Trevor Creed to make informed statements telling us that we only thought we wanted a two door Charger and the sedan was the car we really wanted.  :rofl: