News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Loading a car onto a trailer

Started by 69bronzeT5, March 05, 2008, 02:19:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

69bronzeT5

Hey guys, what would be the quickest and easiest way to load and unload a car without brakes and dosent run on and off a car trailer?
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

FLG

Just did that last week, a winch is the easiest way. Besides that just get a few guys and push it up, and roll it down...use blocks of wood to stop it.

69bronzeT5

Well the reason I am asking this is because I've decided to take my Charger to a car show this summer that I love to go to every summer, they just added a new class that would be perfect for me and also, the old owner of my car would love to see it again so I've decided to take it. Thanks FLG for the quick reply :cheers:

FLG

Awesome, take some pics. Using a winch makes things a heck of alot easier.

2Gunz

I would try a come along.

It isnt fast but its cheap and will get it done.

http://www.cvfsupplycompany.com/2tonhanpowpu.html

terrible one

On trailors without winches we always use come-alongs. Of course, that's for getting them on there. To get it off just get a few guys to guide it down.

Chatt69chgr

I used a come-along I got at Lowes.  A lot nicer than the one they had at Harbor Freight.  And used chains/hooks and load binders that i got at Harbor Freight.  Couldn't open the door due to the construction of the trailer.  And if the trailer has some metal on the front, be careful to not let the grill hit it.  Using the blocks of wood to stop the wheels from rolling is a good idea. You could make some chocks that would be hooked together with a piece of 2X4 and have the 45 degree inclined planes in front of and in the rear of the tire.  Maybe use at a couple of locations.   Check the load after being on the road for a while to make sure everything is tight.  And make sure you have a spare tire for the trailer plus, trailer brakes sure are nice if you are going very far.   

69charger440

come along is the easiest way, just did it 4 weeks ago.
1969 Charger 540 Blown Hemi 1000HP, 69 Road Runner 500 Stroker 665 HP

69bronzeT5

That reminds me, wheres the best places to put the chains/hooks on the car?

Chatt69chgr

I will admit that using the chains gave me some cause for concern.  There are not any real good places to wrap them around without the possibility of damage.  For this reason, a better alternative might be to use nylon pulling straps in combination with chain.  You can get these things at Harbor Freight that will handle several thousand pounds in various lengths and capacitys.  Might take a little figuring out as to how to best arrange all of this.  But the straps wouldn't hurt the undercarriage of the vehicle.  The best approach would be some type of tiedown plates like all foreign cars have integrally built in.  I'am sure you have seen these.  You would have to make them yourself and figure the best place to attach.  Just an idea.  How about taking a picture of what you come up with and share it with us.  Others that have already solved this problem might want to post some pictures of how they did it. 

Troy

When I first got my cars I used a chain around the rear axle and two large (3" plus) tie downs to the k-frame. I bought a 20' truckers chain at Harbor Freight for about $25. If you plan on trailering a lot, spend the money buy a good set of tie downs. I bought a set for about $90 at the trailer store. They are rated at 10,000 pounds each with reinforcement "sleeves" to keep the nylon from getting worn through by any sharp edges. They also have spring loaded hooks so they won't come disconnected if things loosen up. The handles are large and easy to work even with gloves on. I set the front two to the proper length and rarely need to readjust them. The back two keep things tight.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

bill440rt

Quote from: Chatt69chgr on March 06, 2008, 12:09:35 AM
I will admit that using the chains gave me some cause for concern.  There are not any real good places to wrap them around without the possibility of damage.  For this reason, a better alternative might be to use nylon pulling straps in combination with chain.  You can get these things at Harbor Freight that will handle several thousand pounds in various lengths and capacitys.  Might take a little figuring out as to how to best arrange all of this.  But the straps wouldn't hurt the undercarriage of the vehicle.  The best approach would be some type of tiedown plates like all foreign cars have integrally built in.  I'am sure you have seen these.  You would have to make them yourself and figure the best place to attach.  Just an idea.  How about taking a picture of what you come up with and share it with us.  Others that have already solved this problem might want to post some pictures of how they did it. 

Or, you could try these from AR Engineering:
http://www.arengineering.com/suspension/tiedown/tiedown.html

Personally, I do it like Troy is showing. I bought the heaviest-duty nylon straps I could find. They have spring loaded levers on the hooks, & nylon sleeves for protection from chaffing. For the ultimate in poo-poo pampering, I also bought sheepskin cover sleeves for the tie downs as well that go over the contact areas (my cars have painted undercarriages).
My rear tie downs have built-in axle straps, I wrap them around the axle going around the leaf spring shock plate/U-bolt areas criss-crossing the tie downs like Troy is showing. That is the axle's strongest point, I don't like to wrap it around the tubes.
For the front, I use short axle strap tie downs (a 3" length with metal D-rings on either end). They go around the K-frame, & hook into tie down straps for the front. These are also criss-crossed.

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Troy

Oh, it's hard to tell from the pictures but all 4 straps have a loop on the end so you basically adjust it for whatever you're wrapping it around and then it hooks back onto itself with a spring loaded clip. I guess those are called axle straps. I can't criss cross the ones on front with the Barracuda because it has to sit too far back on the trailer. Same with the rear, it's tough to reach all the way across the rear axle with the car that far forward. The Chargers don't have the same problems since they are longer. I'd like to add more attachment points to the trailer some day to avoid having to worry about it.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.