News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rocker arms in wrong places

Started by Paul G, February 26, 2008, 05:14:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul G

Putting my new Stealth heads on I noticed that one of the push rods for #1 cylinder had been rubbing against the old head. Upon further investigation I found that the knucklehead who put my engine together many years ago had the rocker arms in the wrong places, just on #1 cylinder.

I put them in the right places now on the new heads but I am questioning weather I should get new rockers since these have a wear pattern on them, or if I can just use them as they are?
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

Ghoste

How much wear?  Personally, when it comes to things like that if I'm unsure I prefer to err on the side of caution and replacement.

FLG

Might as well change them....seems like not only a different wear pattern, but possibly could have caused some fatigue on the rocker and the push rod. Better to be safe  :shruggy:

firefighter3931

If the other rockers are in good shape just replace the pair on #1  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Paul G

I called the local machine shop and talked them. The shop foreman sais to bring in the rockers and the pushgrods for him to see. He said he can order just the two of them and two pushrods for me.

I asked if there was a way to tell if they are 1.5's or 1.6's. He said that if they are stamped steel stock type rockers they are 1.5's.

My next question: How much could I expect to pay for just the two rockers and pushrods?

Is there any benefit to upgrading all the rockers to 1.6's? What all will need to be replaced to make the swap to 1.6"s? Cost?
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.

Paul G

Here's what they look like.
In the first pic you can see the pushrod rubbing on the head.
Second pic is how the rockers are way off center on the valve stem.
Third pic is the underside of the rockers, and you can see the worn spot on the push rod. I can really feel the indent in the pushrod.

I never noticed this last year when I did the cam swap ::)

firefighter3931

Paul, you can clearly see the rocker arms are reversed in those pics....replace the rocker arms and the pushrods as well if you can feel or see some wear on them.  :Twocents:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

jerry

i just replaced  shafts and rockers  with mancini kit .MP heavy duty stamped steel rockers and hard chromed shafts on my MP performance alum heads.kit was $174.95 .comes with new hold downs and bolts.still trying to figure out what the difference is in the heavy duty rockers compared to the standard rockers????new push rods $40.00. chrome moly $75.00. part numbers for the MP rockers are p4529476 and 77 if you buy them separate don't know what the price is. i went to the big mopar swap meet at indy yesterday and got a nice discount from mancini. the prices above are on web site.they also had the MP performance oil pump drive and they have an exhaust stud kit for the heads with everything you need if anyone is looking for that kind of stuff.