News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Can I use this Adjustable Proportioning Valve and Distribution Block?

Started by 69chargerboy, January 24, 2008, 11:50:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

69chargerboy

Please excuse my ignorance on this topic,..... 
Is this possible to use instead of my brass proportioning valve and distribution block? I'm converting from all power drums to Wilwood power disc front and stock drums rear. Other than a few custom pipe bends, will this work? Thanks.

http://www.ssbrakes.com/products/detail/5483/?make=Dodge&model=Charger&year=1969
My MoPar Family:

1968 Chrysler 300 
1968 Coronet 440 4-Dr                                                              
1968 Coronet 440                                       
1969 Charger                                       
1973 Charger SE 
1988 Dodge Custom 150 Pickup

John_Kunkel

If your Charger originally had front drum brakes there will be no proportioning valve, the brass safety tee is only a splitter for the two systems; it also contains the warning light switch. When changing to front discs, a separate proportioning valve can be added or a combo valve can replace the original safety tee.

I would contact Wilwood on the single/dual booster issue and their 2-bolt master cylinder won't mate to the Mopar booster without a 4-bolt to 2-bolt adapter.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Chatt69chgr

Since this subject has been brought up---------I am essentially doing the same thing.  Had a non-booster 69 with drums all around.  So I had a distribution tee with warning light in it from the factory.  Now I am adding a booster with the proper master to go with it and using discs on the front and drums on the back.  I am thinking that I can reuse the distribution tee and just install a adjustable proportioning valve in the line going to the rear---------and do nothing else and it should work just fine.  There would be no need for a hold off valve going to the rear since all modern drum brake wheel cylinders now have a expansion spring in them negating the requirement for the hold off valve.  I hope I am correct on this since it would make it very easy to order new brake lines--------just order the same ones I have now (I am rear mounting the calipers on the front so the steel lines will be the same as the drum lines.  Please jump in and say what I want to do is OK or if not, why not, and what should be done.  I think Chargerboy is sort of asking a similar question.  Thanks.

charger_mike75

When I installed my Wilwood brakes I left the dist. block in place and added an adjustable prop. valve in line to the rear brakes and it worked fine.

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: charger_mike75 on February 04, 2008, 01:15:19 AM
When I installed my Wilwood brakes I left the dist. block in place and added an adjustable prop. valve in line to the rear brakes and it worked fine.

Same here   :Twocents:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Chatt69chgr

I want to explore this issue a little more.  I just read up on the combination valve which has a metering valve, proportioning valve, and safety switch all in one piece.  I believe this to be the piece that is used when you got disc brakes on the front and drums on the rear of a 69 Charger.  If you got drums all the way around, you just got a distribution block with a safety switch in it which is what my 69 Charger has now.  I am adding front disc brakes.  From what I can gather, the brass combination valve was used up to 1970 and the cast iron one was used after that.  The cast iron piece is offered by pirate jacks as a identical replacement for these units.  Until recently, I had never run across anyone offering a brass one just like the originals------until now.  It appears that Inline Tube has one.  From what I have read, the upper part of the combination valve has the metering valve in it.  This is to hold off application of braking to the discs until the brake shoes on the rear have begun applying braking force to make the car stop easier without the rear end coming around on you.  The line from the master, for the front brakes, comes into the top of the brass valve and then leaves the brass unit via two fittings-----one going to the right front wheel and one to the left.  The line from the other master outlet, for the rear,  (dual master) goes to the front fitting on the bottom and leaves the brass valve from the rear fitting thus passing through the part of the combination valve called the proportioning valve that reduces the brake pressure to something like 70% of that being applied to the front discs.  Not to muddy the water any but there was a hold off valve threaded into the master to keep the cups expanded in the wheel cylinders I think.  You wouldn't need this anymore since modern wheel cylinders have cup expanders in them already.   So what I want to know is:  am I correct in what I have said?  If so, then it would seem that it wouldn't be a good idea to just use a adjustable proportioning valve in the line to the rear with the std distribution block.  You wouldn't have a metering valve then.  It would work but you would probably be applying the front brakes before the rear drum brakes.  Could someone post a picture of their correct combination valve for their 69 Charger with front discs and rear drums.  And at the same time tell me if that's all there is to the brake system with the exception of the brake lines.  I want to order brake lines for my 69 Charger RT clone project and want to hopefully order the right thing.  I see that they offer a one piece or two piece going to the rear.  Which should I use and why?  Should I put a adjustable proportioning valve in the line to the rear to allow further adjustment of the rear braking pressure?  I'am asking all of these question since I figure that some of you have been down this road already and will know what to do.  Thanks.  PS-------I have tried to add two pictures from Inline Tube showing two choices for the brass valves they say are used on 69-70 B-bodys.  I get the idea that you could have had either one thus accounting for the 1 piece brake line to rear or the two piece brake line to rear.  And a final question-----did the brake lines coming from the brass block terminate ahead of the two front wheels or behind them?  (my 4-wheel drum brake car currently has them terminating behind the front wheels and that is where I prefer them to go since I will be rear mounting my slider calipers).

bill440rt

No to hi-jack this thread, but when I did my 4-wheel SSBC disc brake conversion, I bought my lines from Fine Lines. The rep said I did not need to use the adjustable prop valve with the SSBC kit, & sold me the valve pictured below. This is essentially a "universal" valve, looks GM based. Inline Tube offers this as a "Street Rod" valve on their website.
The rep from Fine Lines said it is already set up with equal proportioning, & I would not need an adjustable valve.

Anyone else have this valve on their Mopar? I've seen it on other cars at shows before.  :shruggy:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Chatt69chgr

OK guys, my post was too long and scared everybody off.  So please go back two posts in this thread and look at the two attached pictures of distribution valves.  Now if you have a 69 Charger that came from the factory with front disc and rear drum brakes:  do either of these pictures show the brake valve that came on your car?  That's what I really need to know.  Thanks.

THERAMMAN

Quote from: charger_mike75 on February 04, 2008, 01:15:19 AM