News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Source for center vents and other AC parts.

Started by 2Gunz, January 06, 2008, 05:52:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

2Gunz

I have an original AC car but its missing most of the stuff.

Im looking to replace it and get the AC going again.

For starters Im looking for a set of center Vents.

Mine are still in the car but are trashed.

ANY info on the vents and duct work would be awesome.

Plus places to buy the stuff if its available would be awesome.

Thanks

1969chargerrtse

The vents are on ebay quite often.  Problem is it's one of those things people charge stupid amounts of money for.  I also have luck when on ebay putting in the words Mopar instead, or along with Charger.  The whole world is at your finger tips.  Just search engine Mopar a/c parts etc...
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Chatt69chgr

The vents have been repoped.  Several of the usual mopar suppliers have them.  Question is, how much of the original system do you still have?  If the heater box is still there, you could rebuild it.  You would also need the heater valve on the firewall.  There is a rebuild kit from Detroit Muscle Technologies for the box.  I think Classic Auto Air out of Florida has the dual heater core.  I think it costs something like $225.  Nobody else has it.  The water valve has not been repoped by anyone.  Classic Auto air may have one.  The originals can sometimes be rebuilt.  Several threads on here cover that.  Hard to find the original blower motor.  You also need to have the condenser pressure tested.  Classic Auto air sells everything to go under the hood for R134A freon including a Sanden compressor, new evaporator, hoses, and new dryer with correct dessicant for R134A.  When you price all of this stuff out, you may decide to forget AC.  Forgot to mention that Classic Auto Air also has a replacement AC system that replaces everything including the stuff under the dash.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Chatt69chgr on January 13, 2008, 10:29:29 PM
The vents have been repoped.  Several of the usual mopar suppliers have them.  Question is, how much of the original system do you still have?  If the heater box is still there, you could rebuild it.  You would also need the heater valve on the firewall.  There is a rebuild kit from Detroit Muscle Technologies for the box.  I think Classic Auto Air out of Florida has the dual heater core.  I think it costs something like $225.  Nobody else has it.  The water valve has not been repoped by anyone.  Classic Auto air may have one.  The originals can sometimes be rebuilt.  Several threads on here cover that.  Hard to find the original blower motor.  You also need to have the condenser pressure tested.  Classic Auto air sells everything to go under the hood for R134A freon including a Sanden compressor, new evaporator, hoses, and new dryer with correct dessicant for R134A.  When you price all of this stuff out, you may decide to forget AC.  Forgot to mention that Classic Auto Air also has a replacement AC system that replaces everything including the stuff under the dash.
I didn't kow they repopped the vent, cool.  I just wrote Classic air 2 weeks ago, they don't have the water valve but will rebuild it for 130.00
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Mopar2Ya

I have the CAA "perfect fit" sysytem for my '70, & it does not fit perfect in an original A/C car.  :brickwall:

1970 Charger R/T
2006 GC SRT8

mike337

I have not seen the repopped center vent for a 69 Charger.  Who's making them, or selling them?

Mike

JimShine

The duct work is on the market. I have a set here that came from the Paddok, which means they are available elsewhere cheaper.

Chatt69chgr

I reread this thread and realized you wanted the center vents and not the ones in the top of the dash.  The top vents are available from Legendary and others along with the hoses.  But the center vents are a different story.  I confess that I have not run across those anywhere except occasionally on EBAY.  I bet a member on here has a spare set they would sell (or give) you. 

BRS

mike337

Ok, seems like we have a misunderstanding. :eyes:

When I hear center vent, I think of the one in the middle of the dash, located under the radio (AC cars only).

I think the vents most of you are talking about are the defroster vents on top of the dash.

Sorry for any confusion.

I just found a vendor who says they will both repair the mounting points, and rechrome the face of the center AC vent.  Before I shipped it off tomorrow, I was chasing down what I thought was a possible link for repopped pieces.

For anyone interested, I'll let you know how the repair/refinish turns out.

Thanx,
Mike

Chatt69chgr

When you get the part back, please post pictures along with info on who did the work.  Thanks.

2Gunz

I meant the Center vent under the radio.

Not the windsheild defroster vents.

gasoline_24

Does anyone know what vent pieces are included in the kit from Paddock?

Mike DC

Man, those center vents were cheap rickety assemblies in the first place!  I've had nearly-new ones that didn't last more than a few months of usage.   

Don't drop that kind of coin on a set unless you really gotta have the whole factory appearance. 

There are probably other aftermarket & junkyard vents reasonbly near the same size that might actually last more than 6 months in a street cruiser.  And the factory ones basically just look black with shiny rectangular rims.  Seems like it would be pretty easily faked.

mike337

I received my center (below radio) A/C vent back from replating last weekend, and I could not be happier.  The part looks great!  They even repaired one of the mounting studs that had been broken in half, and also repaired the louver mechanism on one side.  Performance Car Graphics did the work.

mike337

Some of you also may be interested in getting your Heater/AC Control Switches redone.  Once again Performance Car Graphics did the work, and the results are excellent.

Before Pic

mike337

gasoline_24

How much for the center vent and the A/C control?

mike337

The center vent rechrome was $100.  Another $20 for the repairs to the piece.

The heater/AC control refurbishment was $95, with another $70 for a new vacuum electric switch, wire solder, and heat shrink.

Nice work for more than a fair price.

Mike