News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

installing valve cover gaskets

Started by c5_nc, January 27, 2008, 03:17:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

c5_nc

I had a tiny leak in one valve cover gasket.  I orderd a set of Mr.Gasket ultraseal cork gaskets and just went ahead and changed both them.  Old gaskets looked of decent shape, I removed and cleaned off the covers and it looks like someone had used clear silicone (maybe?) between the gasket, got it all off anyways. By the time you get new gasket and cover over the rockers its about impossible to get the gasket lined up with all the holes.  So I stuck the gaskets to the valve covers with blue rtv sealant. Took one trip around the neighborhood and they are both leaking pretty bad.  I have the little studs... thinking about removing and putting bolts on I can torque down better... although I guess its probably the sealant I used? 383 engine

The70RT

Quote from: c5_nc on January 27, 2008, 03:17:41 PM
I had a tiny leak in one valve cover gasket.  I orderd a set of Mr.Gasket ultraseal cork gaskets and just went ahead and changed both them.  Old gaskets looked of decent shape, I removed and cleaned off the covers and it looks like someone had used clear silicone (maybe?) between the gasket, got it all off anyways. By the time you get new gasket and cover over the rockers its about impossible to get the gasket lined up with all the holes.  So I stuck the gaskets to the valve covers with blue rtv sealant. Took one trip around the neighborhood and they are both leaking pretty bad.  I have the little studs... thinking about removing and putting bolts on I can torque down better... although I guess its probably the sealant I used? 383 engine

Did you let the gaskets set on the valve covers for a while before installing them? You just need to snug them down. You may have over tightened them  :shruggy:
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

c5_nc

I let them sit overnight before installing, I was using the sealant to hold them onto the cover so the gasket would be in correct place for bolt holes.  I used the wing nuts on the valve cover stems (previous owner had put them there with the chrome valve covers), so don't think I could have overtightened, maybe not tight enough.

c5_nc

I'm thinking it has to be how I used the sealant, there was not really any consisant pressure between the gasket and cover when I was leting it dry (probably my mistake  :brickwall:)  How in the heck to you get them in place and lined up nice so you can bolt them down?

The70RT

I usually let them set up about 15 min. before installing.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

charger Downunder

What valve covers are you using.
I had wing nuts on mine they would always work loose.
I bought some washers and bolts and used them make sure you get deep enough thread length.
I took my covers of completly and cleaned everything including the threads in the head ,i test fitted the covers to make sure no obstruction that you get with the alloy mopar covers.I had the same problem with the gasket moving under the cover,if you take your time you can slowly adjust the gasket by not using sealer it is easy to move around to line up the gasket with the holes.As you get each hole lined up put each bolt in just a little as you go, once they are all done go around and tighten them up a liitle bit on each one at a time so they go on evenlly.I always do mine by hand dont over tighten them and squash the gasket.once done take the car for a run so its at engine temp and nip them up again just gently and then re nip them up again after a couple more runs.
I learnt the hard way stuffed a set of gaskets buy using the torque wrech,an old bloke told me to do it as above and i havent had a problem.
[/quote]

c5_nc

Some type of aftermarket chrome cover, they were already on the car.

I removed the gaskets tossed them and recleaned.  Bought Felpro high-temp rubber gasket from Advance.  Instructions with it said to apply small amount of clue around the bolt areas to secure the gasket, I used a tiny amount of superglue to hold it in place for the install.  I think I got it correct this time, did not appear to leak during a short test drive.

moparguy01

the chinsy aftermarket chrome pos covers tend to leak. Just junk them and get either a factory set or even the cast aluminum ones from MP. those dont seem to leak either, unless you overtighten them

resq302

Ive had good luck with using Indian Head Gasket Shellac compound on both sides of the cork/rubber gaskets with factory valve covers with no leaks.  Only thing is it makes them pretty tough to get off once they are on there for a while.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

GreenMachine

I just bought an engine gasket set for a small block from O'reilly's. They had one set for around $100 and another one for around $60, both Felpro. I had to specifically ask for the $60 one (since I first saw it one their website). When I asked what the difference was, he wasn't sure, but said it was probably the quality of gasket. I ended up getting the cheap one (had to special order) because my truck is a POS and I can't justify spending lots of $$$$ on it.
   The quality in the cheaper set was very good. The valve cover gaskets were something I have never seen before. They were black, and very thick and rigid. They held their shape very well and were easy to install w/o sealant. After using those, I think I will be more picky next time and not settle for the cork or rubber gaskets.

If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.