News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What suspension would you run?

Started by Arkgl01, January 27, 2009, 08:15:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arkgl01

Looking to upgrade the suspension on my General. Its stock now and just wanting a really nice set up for show and play. What would you do? Looked at coil overs?
69 440 RT matching.. mostly original!

suntech

Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

Mike DC

A set of GL rims would never clear XV's stuff though.  (I assume that's what this is for.)  That's a 17" rims kind of deal, what with the C5 spindles & brakes and all.

--------------------------------------------------

The Alterktion setup has grown a lot of fans. 

I don't think the stock geometry was ever really broken, and the stock arms can be firmed up with poly already.  But the Alterktion deal's main benefit looks like the conversion to R/P steering.  There's also some weight loss with it, between the steering box change and the swap to front coil springs. 

The only big downside with the Alterktion deal would be the several inches of reduced suspension travel.  But it looks like it's all taken off the end of the droop extension rather than compression, so it's probably not that much of real-world driving loss.  Most of us are already running around with a lowered front end in the first place.

--------------------------------------------------

You might still consider just overhauling the stock setup though.  Just getting a tight aftermarket-rebuilt steering box (paired with a decent pot coupler) and an aftermarket set of UCAs (for tighter bushings and a MAJOR caster increase) will remove a large portion of the stock front end's shortcomings.

The stock setup certainly seems more in-tune with the character of the GL.  Fragile lightweight steering racks & low ground clearance are not very much in keeping with life in Hazzard County.

Arkgl01

I agree. Just dont want to go play and have problems. Would love to autocross it atleast one time!!!
69 440 RT matching.. mostly original!