News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1971 Charger - Exterior door handle disassemble?

Started by 71Charger JT, January 08, 2008, 08:06:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

71Charger JT

i have searched with no success....

Im sending a bunch of parts out to chrome and ext. handles are in the batch. I want to disassemble everything and send out, as all of my local chromers want a arm and leg to put extra effort in.

Should i bother or should i just get repops? personally id rather stay with originals.

comments, advice, or Ideas?

thanks in advance
1971 Super Bee

NHCharger

For the price I just bought re-pops. Althou they do come with a disclaimer that they shouldn't be used on a car with a "trailer queen" status.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

chgr500

I used repop door handles on my car for a short time...one opening of the door....scratched the paint on the first pull....they are made from too thin of metal and don't sit a proper distance from the metal..even comes with a China sticker too...and that gold colored chrome... :Twocents:

I had an NOS set,  but they were the '75 up style....didn't like the look of them...not sure,  but rechroming originals may be difficult because of the plastic bushings...not made to be easily removed?

71Charger JT

thanx for the replys, im going to play with them and see if i can do something to get them apart. Id love to see them get chromed. ill bring them to a speciallty shop if anything..

im still open to suggestions.. or even donations of old beat up 71 handles to give it a test go... if i figure it out ill make a DIY instruction guide :)
1971 Super Bee

RogerDodger

Quote from: chgr500 on January 08, 2008, 09:15:58 PM
I used repop door handles on my car for a short time...one opening of the door....scratched the paint on the first pull....they are made from too thin of metal and don't sit a proper distance from the metal..even comes with a China sticker too...and that gold colored chrome... :Twocents:

I had an NOS set,  but they were the '75 up style....didn't like the look of them...not sure,  but rechroming originals may be difficult because of the plastic bushings...not made to be easily removed?

I also used the repops. Same result. They are crap. I drilled new holes and shimmed them to make them work after I scratched my paint. Even after all that they still don't work very good. Fortunately I only did the passenger side.

hemihead

I have heard that the repros are crap also . I believe the only originals available are 75 - up . They fit but aren't quite right . I have a decent pair of 72 handles but they would be expensive .
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

NHCharger

Hmmm, very interesting info on the re-pops. To be honest, I got mine two years ago but still haven't installed them yet since work on my 71 came to a standstill for a couple of reasons, mostly money. Wonder if Y.O. would take them back.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

chgr500

Quote from: NHCharger on January 11, 2008, 07:56:58 PM
Hmmm, very interesting info on the re-pops. To be honest, I got mine two years ago but still haven't installed them yet since work on my 71 came to a standstill for a couple of reasons, mostly money. Wonder if Y.O. would take them back.

Maybe Y.O. handles are different...got mine off eBay when they first came out...paid like $30 for them..did you have a China sticker on yours??

Nacho-RT74

I got a couple of asian repop from a member here... there is somethink on them that I don't like. Still have to compare with my originals, but is something about the linkage hole location. Down here in Venezuela were being sold someones similars made in Colombia and I had same fellings. Does look they could be for laters models ( Lebarons/Diplomats---Aspens/Volares )
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

NHCharger

Quote from: chgr500 on January 11, 2008, 09:33:27 PM

Maybe Y.O. handles are different...got mine off eBay when they first came out...paid like $30 for them..did you have a China sticker on yours??

OK, I checked my old handles with the new ones from Y.O. New ones are made in Taiwan ::), but they appear to be an exact match to the original. I'll be putting the handles back on in a month or so, so I'll be very careful to check for clearance issues.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

RogerDodger

Mine were off ebay. I would be interested to know how you make out with the YO ones. Please post after you install. Be careful.

440mag

Mine are from Year One and they had the same problems as above.  Had to shim them out to keep them from hitting the paint when you open the door.

Get your originals replated.
440mag

T16

Also scratched my new paintjob :brickwall: So you have to be very careful the first time..
Trimmed mine with a little file and put some shims under them

71Charger JT

is it possible to plate the handles only????  I mean not disassemble the entire part?
1971 Super Bee