News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Heater box rivets

Started by OttawaCharger, October 07, 2007, 02:40:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OttawaCharger

Ok, so I've disassembled the heater box as far as I can without grinding off any rivets.  I haven't taken the rivets off because I want to make sure that I can replace them.  I'm pretty sure they're out there as I've seen some pretty nicely restored heater boxes on this site.  Here is a picture of what I'm talking about:
1968 Charger -currently spread all over my garage!

Paul 500

When i done my heater i left the brackets on & just masked it up when i painted it. Too much effort grinding out rivets & the boxes can crack quite ease.
68 Charger R/T
69 Charger 500

OttawaCharger

Thanks Paul,
I really need to replace all the seals in my heater box which means at least three of these rivets must come out. :brickwall:  They're pretty well hidden on top though so I'll just drill them.  I took a look at smsmopar.com and their $500 restorations use plain blind rivets so there is no reason that mine can't.  :D

gasoline_24

Did you ever find the right ones?

OttawaCharger

Not in quantities of less than a few thousand.  :-\
I ended up just cleaning them up with a dremel tool and painting them on the box.  Not quite the results I was looking for but at least it stopped the rust and you'd have to be looking real hard to see them.

Shakey

I did the same, just tape them up when I painted the box black and then covered the black when I painted them grey.