News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need Some Opinions On A Fuel Pump

Started by Our 68 Obsession, January 15, 2008, 02:04:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Our 68 Obsession

Hi guys,
I have a 74 that I bought without a drivetrain. The car was quite extreme, with a fuel injected 500 wedge. It now has a freshly built for the street 440. The motor is still fed from the electric fuel pump through 1/2 inch fuel lines. My question is will it be better to change it over to a manual pump or leave it the way it is? The motor runs well now, its just something that I have been wondering about all winter. Thanks for all the advice!

John_Kunkel

Have you checked the pressure being provided by the electric pump?

Most fuel injection pumps put out around 45-50 psi while a pump for carburetors puts out about 5-7 psi if used without a regulator and about 14 psi if used with a regulator.

Any pump is more efficient when it's mounted close to the tank and pushes the fuel to the carb rather than pulling it from the engine.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Our 68 Obsession

Yes there is a regulator on the fire wall and it's turned down to run the carb. The fuel pump i mounted on the rear valance a few inches from the fuel cell. I have never considered what you said about pushing or pulling fuel, if its better maybe I should leave it on then.The picture below shows how I mounted the pump, I had to move it to put on the tailpipes for the safety. Thanks

Blown68Coronet

Fuel pump looks like a holley, I wouldn't have it mounted with electrics facing down,
just in case you have a leak it could be bad news.Just my  :Twocents:

What part of Ontario are you from?

Our 68 Obsession

Yeah I didn't think of that..might be wise to remount it differently. I'm in Mount Brydges, 15 min west of London

Joshua

Looks like a Carter pump to me and mounted correctly,.....which are very reliable and more quiet than Holley and Mallory pumps.
I'd say keep it.

Chryco Psycho

I like the HV mechanical pump s, totally silent
the Mallory gearotor pumpos are afr quieterthen the Holley & far better design if electric is the preference

Joshua

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on January 24, 2008, 01:03:19 PM
I like the HV mechanical pump s, totally silent
the Mallory gearotor pumpos are afr quieterthen the Holley & far better design if electric is the preference

Well...Mallory's really aren't any quieter than Holley's (I HAVE a Mallory :icon_smile_wink:), even when rubber mounted.....and getting replacement brushes is easier for Holleys....