News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Is It Possible....

Started by Shakey, January 08, 2007, 05:50:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shakey

Is it possible to have the factory thumbwheel AM radio as the main source of music in the vehicle ('69 Charger) and to have an AM/FM CD/mp3 system mounted in the glove box?

Ultimately I'd like to be able to simply turn off the thumbwheel radio and switch on the aftermarket system and have it all run through the same three (one dash, two rear) speakers in the car.

Has anyone ever done this successfully?  Can you share some tips, tricks, what you used, how you installed it and some photos please?

Thanks in advance.

tan top

:scratchchin:  not sure if using  the same speaker wire connected to the original  radio is ok , could use some sort transfer switch on the speaker wires though .  what i done on mine  is use the original dash speaker /s for the original radio .  and  a pair of good quality  speakers hidden under the rear package tray , for the after market one . never put it back  after the resto though.
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

kab69440

Yes, it's possible. The speakers don't care where the signal is coming from, as long as it gets there. My guess is, though... most aftermarket head units are at least 45w per channel and will blow your factory voice coils at 20% power.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

Shakey

Thanks fellas.  I plan on putting in a decent set of speakers all around.

I too was thinking of some sort of switch for the speakers but if it is not necessary, well then good!

What have you got in your cars?

kab69440

In the 69? Nothing. There used to be a Kraco tape deck piped to dual EQs, which in turn were piped to dual amps which were piped to 4-8" and 4-6"x9"  Jensens, respectively. In 1987, it was state of the art... 
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

bull

Shakey,

I've been meaning to contact Wards Classic Radio and ask them if they have a way to plumb an mp3 jack in during a thumbwheel rebuild but I haven't yet. My guess is they can't using '68 technology (radio and speakers) unless they can amplify the signal from the old radio. However, I would think you could push the signal from your original radio, through a modern amp and into modern speakers and incorporate a second input somewhere along the line without too much trouble.

That or just put the thumbwheel unit in to plug the hole but don't hook it up and run everything through the new system cleverly hidden in the glovebox.

But then a real Charger purist wouldn't listen to anything but AM radio or 8-tracks. :nana:

Shakey

I was also thinking of just having a jack plumbed/split into the speaker wires.

If I just have the stock AM radio, with some decent speakers and a speaker plug that would fit into the end of my little Sony mp3 player, where the headphones plug into, that would be most simple solution.  I'm no electronics guy but I also don't want to burn my car to ground.

I have too many things on the go to be worrying about this now, but I continue to do so!  I might just by a ghetto blaster and leave it on the passenger seat!  I do love the AM radio, but..... :nana:

Shakey

I'll definitely keep all of the above mentioned options open but the more I think about it, the more I'd like to simplify things.

Ultimately, I'd like to leave the factory AM thumbwheel all alone. By this I mean, I'd like to have it restored because believe or not, I do like some of the local AM radio stations and I like the untouched look in the dash.

However, I would like to have the option of having my own choice of music.

This is something else I was thinking about that would keep things simple and keep the costs down.

My problem, I'm not really and electrical guy (sure I could splice wires) but when it comes to how many ohm's a speaker needs or has, will the little mp3 player burn up my radio etc...well that's when I get lost.

So please tell me folks, do you think this type of set up would work.

My plan:

Have the factory AM radio restored to factory specs. I've heard that this would run me less than $150.00 USD.

Install some modern aftermarket speakers like Pioneer, Sony or whatever, at this point I'm not worried about what brand.

When running the speaker wires from the radio to the speakers, splice in an extension with a male terminal the correct size that would be able to plug into my Sony mp3 player's headphone jack. I'd have it hanging from under the dash, tucked away when not in use.

So.....do you think this would work?

Thanks in advance for all of this!

kab69440

You will need a modest amplifier behind your MP3 player. A "AA" battery won't drive a woofer for diddly.

WANT TO BUY:

Thank you,    Kenny

Back N Black

I trying to figure out the same set up for my car right now,a couple of stereo installation shops told me that i can't run any speakers of the radio other than the stock spec. speakers or i will burn out the radio.So my plan is to use the stock radio with a stock speaker in the center of the dash and run a seperate aftermarket system hiding the head unit in the glove box.

HITMAN 149

shakey....
i think i just saw a thread w/ pics while surfing thru yesterday?!?!?!?! i can't remember where or by who?!?!?!? it'a that age thing!!! LOL
68 Charger R/T, SOLD =/ sniffle sniffle
01 BMW 740i SPORT  
01 Hot Rod Harley Dresser, SOLD =/ =/

HITMAN 149

shakey....
one of the other guys replied to your speaker qustion post, he had pics & info!?!?!?!?
68 Charger R/T, SOLD =/ sniffle sniffle
01 BMW 740i SPORT  
01 Hot Rod Harley Dresser, SOLD =/ =/

Shakey

Thanks for all the help fellas!

I'm glad I am not in a hurry as it seems I have some decisions to make.  Still up in the air as to whether or not I put a stereo in the glove box or simple have my stock radio updated with modern internals.

:cheers:

kab69440

Quote from: Back N Black on January 10, 2007, 10:53:41 AM
I trying to figure out the same set up for my car right now,a couple of stereo installation shops told me that i can't run any speakers of the radio other than the stock spec. speakers or i will burn out the radio.So my plan is to use the stock radio with a stock speaker in the center of the dash and run a seperate aftermarket system hiding the head unit in the glove box.

As long as you get good high-resistance speakers, your stock radio wiill be fine. Remember 2 8ohm speakers equal 4 ohms resistance. Keep the resistance from dropping below say, 2ohms total and the radio will not care what speaker it's driving

WANT TO BUY:

Thank you,    Kenny

soundkat

I like the idea Lyles has in the project charger book, he cut the front off of a crappy am thumbwheel radio and put a real system in back of it. You remove the faux front radio and panel from the dash to get to the new system, the panel is held on by velcro. just my 2 cents.

bull