News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Another steering wheel resto question

Started by Ghoste, December 28, 2007, 01:29:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

You folks that have had steering wheels restored, have any of you needed to have chrome replated on them?  Can it even be done?

plumbeeper

Yes it can be done but if you're going to have it done, there's a few things you need to be sure you can live with before going through the expense.

1. The original style "satin chrome" is a proces that nobody is legally allowed to do in the USA anymore. Besides, the demand for it just isn't enough. There's another process that gives similar results, but it does not present a very consistant gloss. Some areas are shinier than others.
2. Getting chrome up against the ends of the spokes "neatly" is nearly impossible. The spokes on these wheels were chromed before the plastic rim was installed.
3. Turn around at the chrome plating companies are just horrible. Don't expect your wheel back for several weeks or months. They have high production stuff that pays the bills so the little specialty items get put on the back burner.

I'm working with my 4th chrome plating shop now and have had several different results from each of them. The one I'm working with now is showing some good potential, but like I mentioned earlier, turn around is very slow. I've used a very high quality automotive metal finish paint several times in the past that looks identical to the satin chrome and turn around is a lot quicker, but it is a paint, so you have to treat it just like the paint job on your car.

Hope this helps and if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Dave

http://www.woodgrainwheels.com
CLICK ABOVE FOR THE BEST MOPAR WOODGRAIN STEERING WHEEL RESTORATIONS

Ghoste

Actually I have a 67 woodgrain wheel and there is no satin finish on it, it's all bright chrome.

plumbeeper

Quote from: Ghoste on December 28, 2007, 11:10:59 AM
Actually I have a 67 woodgrain wheel and there is no satin finish on it, it's all bright chrome.

That would be a lot easier and probably quicker. There's a small chrome plating shop nearby that does the bright chrome and his turn around is a lot better. Still might have a little issue with the ends of the spokes though.
http://www.woodgrainwheels.com
CLICK ABOVE FOR THE BEST MOPAR WOODGRAIN STEERING WHEEL RESTORATIONS

Shakey

I spoke to Doug Lepak about doing mine ('69 woodgrain) in the summer and he told me that he is now able to send out the wheel to have the spokes done properly.  He has a contact in BC that I would send my wheel to, once he was finished with it, he would then send it over to Doug who would take care of the woodgrain.