News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need advise on this rebuild 440 for novice

Started by raull, December 09, 2007, 02:35:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

raull

First off I would like to thank everyone for great support here.
and Thx in advance for any comments and help I receive.

Now I have a disassembled 1978 casting block # 4006630-440, with 727 tranny. I have never assembled an engine. I have mostly done oil changes simple things, no real mechanic skills whatsoever. My questions are the following. With help from this forum and my two simple books Big-Block Mopar Performance (by Chuck Senatore), and Big-Block Mopar Engines (by Don Taylor), can I successfully assemble this 440 engine with tranny for my 1968 Charger (originally 383, 727)? I am looking to get close to 500 HP and torque. I will have machine shop do the heads, block, and maybe the cast iron crankshaft. Yes I can pay someone to do the work, but I would really be proud of myself if I could assemble it myself, and put the extra money into a better cam shaft. I would like this engine to fit properly into the 68 Charger. No hood drilling or anything, I would like all of it to fit under the hood.

I have no real time frame to assemble this engine and dont forget the tranny, for the freshly rebuild engine. I will probably work on it on weekends. I know it is going to be an expensive project. How much money can I invest into it? Well I want to spend the more practical way of obtaining close to 500 hp, torque.  If allot of people think I wont be able to do it, I probably wont even try. I will be driving this car on weekends and special occasions.

Well here is the deal with the engine. The place where I had the engine taken apart wanted to re-ring the engine. I said NO! According to them, it had very little bore wear. I would like to take it to the machine shop and have them tell me if I need to simply hone the cylinders or if I must bore it for new pistons. Now I am almost sure its going to be bore .30. What pistons can I get. I would like to make sure I spend the money on items I really need. Preferably an engine kit. That way I get a discount. I have seen engine kits for $650 on summit and ebay.  Would this kits be able to pull what I am shooting for (500 hp, torque)?

Heads I am almost sure that they are 906 open chamber, according to books anyways. I have not picked up the heads to look at the castings number. What is the recommended job for the machine shop. Port work?, what type of valves etc. should I buy for head assembly? Machine shop will do it.

Crankshaft cast? Will this be good to try and get close to 500 hp, torque? Just take it to the machine shop or no? If I need to buy one I was planning to get a 4340 stroker crankshaft. Would like to save some money for other parts. I would like to know what can I use from the worn out parts and what I need to buy. I would like to know exactly how much I will need to build this beast.

What would be a good rear differential to put in the 68 Charger?

I have a StreetDominator Holley aluminum Intake, a HVC High Current Ignition Professional Race Ignition Box 2, with a Mallory dual point distributor  that I would like to use. Other than that, the only parts that I have are the ones that where disassemble.

If someone is willing to help me with this project, I can take pics of my project post them here.

I am sorry if I sound like a kid, but I am 37 years old and I am still a kid when it comes to my 68 charger.

I probably forgot to ask tons of questions, but having no clue on what to ask, as I have never done this, it will be a challenge. thx again.

RD

first thing i will ask is if you have all the necessary tools to rebuild an engine.  if you do not, then you should obtain these first.  no sense delving into something if once you get there you cannot move forward.

secondly, you can rebuild the engine as long as you go slow.  when you go slow, you go fast if you know what i mean.

lastly, get the machine work done first.  find a forged crankshaft, toss the cast.  forged crankshafts on are ebay all the time and are pretty cheap since the new stroker kits availability are greater.  in most cases they are already machined and ready to install.

lastly, lastly... do your homework, find out exactly what combination of components you desire to obtain your hp/tq rating.  the more you do in preparation, the easier it will be for you in the overhaul.

lastly, lastly, lastly....  search on this site for a thread that identifies all the tools/equipment you will need to overhaul and install an engine.  i posted in it, and it is here somewhere.  that should help you out in the long run.  Also, ask your machinist many questions.  They want to make sure your build goes as well as you do.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Joshs68

the 78 will have 452 heads. nothing wrong there. I know people like to do it themselves but I don't see anything wrong with having a machine shop assemble your engine. I will be the first to say do your homework and make sure you trust them. I had the 474" engine assembled and while I could have done it myself for less I can not come near to matching the work done by an experienced professional. The balance job along with the machine work done is a thing of beauty, I think in the long run it will last much longer and run smoother. If I can work extra and pay for a well built engine for a car I already have a ton of money in and isn't getting any cheaper then I dont regret a thing. Cheaper than screwing it up I guess.

firefighter3931

The 500hp/tq goal is achievable but you will need to get a set of good flowing heads. The cast crank will work at that power level and so will the stock rods as long as they are re-conditioned. The pistons will need to be upgraded and you will probably want to run a solid lifter camshaft to keep the valvetrain stable at higher rpms. This motor will need to spin close to 6k in order to meet those goals.  :yesnod:

There are a couple of 500hp 440ci builds in the proven engines forum :

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,36603.0.html

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,6000.0.html

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs