News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Just a question on Mopar history

Started by Mo Power, December 05, 2007, 11:31:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mo Power

So I was wondering I know that to get Daytonas and Superbirds into Nascar they had to produce 1 for every 2 dealerships. And there were less Daytonas made so were Plymouth and Dodge dealrships seperate and on there own even though they were both owned by Chrysler? So help me out guys that are more knowledgable then me  ;).
1973 Charger SE
1972 Roadrunner-1 of 34 power sunroofs                                
          Crazy colors, Wacky decals, and Massive engines
                      That's what Mopars alll about

Magnumcharger

Yes, Plymouth and Dodge were separate franchises.
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

BROCK

Quote from: Mo Power on December 05, 2007, 11:31:14 PM
So I was wondering I know that to get Daytonas and Superbirds into Nascar they had to produce 1 for
every 2 dealerships. And there were less Daytonas made so were Plymouth and Dodge dealrships seperate
and on there own even though they were both owned by Chrysler? So help me out guys that are more
knowledgable then me  ;).
Short answer:
Posted by: Magnumcharger
Yes, Plymouth and Dodge were separate franchises.
The Charger 500 & subsequent Charger Daytona were produced under a homologation figure of 500. 
For 1970 the rules changed to your 1 for every 2 or 2 for every 1 scenario.  This meant more Superbirds.

=============================================
Let your music be in transit to the world

FastbackJon

I thought it was one per dealership...?
"This was the dedication of the altar, in the day when it was anointed, by the princes of Israel: twelve chargers of silver, twelve silver bowls, twelve spoons of gold..." -- Numbers 7:84 KJV

Ghoste

Actually, the rule for 1970 was 1000 cars or 1/2 the number of dealers, whichever was higher.  I think the one per dealer number may have been the Trans-Am homologation rule.

Mo Power

So your saying Magnum that there was only around 950 Plymouth Dealerships since your saying there was 2 for every one dealership. And I guess that seems weird that Dodge had only half that number of dealerships since I thought back then Dodge would of had more the Plymouth.
1973 Charger SE

PocketThunder

Quote from: Mo Power on December 06, 2007, 01:19:39 PM
So your saying Magnum that there was only around 950 Plymouth Dealerships since your saying there was 2 for every one dealership. And I guess that seems weird that Dodge had only half that number of dealerships since I thought back then Dodge would of had more the Plymouth.

In 69 the rule was 500 cars produced.  It had nothing to do with number of dealerships. 
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

learical1

rule through 1969 = 500 units
rule for 1970 = minimum 1000, or 1 car for every 2 dealerships, whichever is higher.

so if we go by the old 1920 superbird theory, there had to be about 3840 plymouth dealerships.  Was the Daytona the reason for the rule change?  don't think so.  more than likely the 500, talladega and spoiler II get the blame, along with the Boss 429 mustang.  I believe the rule was changed before the Daytonas were made, which is one more reason why the daytona is a 1969 and not a 1970 model.  Why build over a thousand when you can hurry up and only build 500?
Bruce

learical1

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on December 06, 2007, 02:05:01 PM
The big boys will be home after work and I'm sure there will be lots more info. 

I may not be one of the big boys, but I occasionally post from work.  (Don't tell the boss!) :smilielol:
Bruce

Ghoste

hemigeno

Quote from: learical1 on December 06, 2007, 02:37:59 PM
rule for 1970 = minimum 1000, or 1 car for every 2 dealerships, whichever is higher.

so if we go by the old 1920 superbird theory, there had to be about 3840 plymouth dealerships.

You guys have nailed it with that part of the answer.  Here's the rest of the story you probably haven't heard:

The change in homologation rules was actually requested/proposed by none other than...

DODGE!!

Yup, Dodge was actively campaigning Bill France to change the rules from 500 units to something much higher, and NASCAR settled on the 1 car for every 2 dealerships (and there was a huge debate about what counted as a Plymouth dealership).  Why did Dodge do that, you ask?  Well, back at that time Plymouth and Dodge were not always amicable towards one another.  If you remember back when the C500 & Daytona came out, Petty wanted to race a Dodge and Plymouth told him "No" - which eventually led to Petty's departure in '69.  Dodge had also spent TONS of time & money developing the Aero cars (C500 & Daytona), after Plymouth turned their nose up at the entire project.  Now Plymouth - with some help from the Corporate Brass - was going to be able to capitalize on all the Dodge Division's research with comparatively little development costs of their own.

Bill France was absolutely no fan of the Aero cars, and was a willing participant in the effort to raise the homologation requirement, but Dodge was probably just as much a part of that change as anyone.

Ghoste

Why do I feel like I just heard Paul Harvery?  :icon_smile_big:

Mo Power

Thats weird that Plymouth and Dodge were that competive with each other and I thought they were good buds  :icon_smile_big:. But didn't Petty go back to Plymouth in 1970 when the Superbird was up for grabs.
1973 Charger SE

69_500

Petty only left Plymouth in 1969 because they wouldn't allow him to race in the 500 or Daytona. So if he couldn't do that, he figured why not leave and go drive a Ford, because he knew the Plymouths of 6 weren't going to compete.

moparstuart

Quote from: hemigeno on December 06, 2007, 07:39:10 PM
Quote from: learical1 on December 06, 2007, 02:37:59 PM

so if we go by the old 1920 superbird theory, there had to be about 3840 plymouth dealerships.

You guys have nailed it with that part of the answer.  Here's the rest of the story you probably haven't heard:

The change in homologation rules was actually requested/proposed by none other than...

DODGE!!

Yup, Dodge was actively campaigning Bill France to change the rules from 500 units to something much higher, and NASCAR settled on the 1 car for every 2 dealerships (and there was a huge debate about what counted as a Plymouth dealership).  Why did Dodge do that, you ask?  Well, back at that time Plymouth and Dodge were not always amicable towards one another.  If you remember back when the C500 & Daytona came out, Petty wanted to race a Dodge and Plymouth told him "No" - which eventually led to Petty's departure in '69.  Dodge had also spent TONS of time & money developing the Aero cars (C500 & Daytona), after Plymouth turned their nose up at the entire project.  Now Plymouth - with some help from the Corporate Brass - was going to be able to capitalize on all the Dodge Division's research with comparatively little development costs of their own.

Bill France was absolutely no fan of the Aero cars, and was a willing participant in the effort to raise the homologation requirement, but Dodge was probably just as much a part of that change as anyone.

thanks to dodge we have more superbirds out there for us to see and have
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE