News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

4 speed auto trans

Started by rusty lee, November 22, 2007, 10:04:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rusty lee

with gas prices the way they are was thinking about putting a 4 speed in my charger  automatic as the title states.  any factory direct swaps?

RD

if you have a small block you can put a A500/518 or 46rh/re in there.  all you will need is to hook up the correct relays and pressure modules to activate the OD unit and the lockup converter.  this is done a lot.  of course, with an OD unit, you will need to modify the floorboard tunnel as the tailshaft housing is larger on OD units and get a different trans crossmember, as well as get a correct length driveshaft.  bb's require a sb to bb adapter plate.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

rusty lee

Insert Quote
if you have a small block you can put a A500/518 or 46rh/re in there. 

what if any vehicles did these come in?
the trans will be for a 440 motor. what adapter do you mean.  the flex plate?
thanks

caddman

this web site will give you all the info you need.  there is an addaptor kit that will work for your 440 (just make sure you run the correct converter).  You will want the A518 nonlockup (late 80s early 90s dodge trucks or mopar performace new).  if you have an early model you will find it easier to make this swap, I did it on my 73 and the cross member suggestions that i found were useless.  have fun.

http://www.transmissioncenter.net/

caddman

Troy

Those transmissions are from trucks behind 318 or 360 engines. The bell housing is part of the transmission case so it is designed to only fit a small block. You'd need an adapter or other method to install one behind a big block. The link above has lots of good information. Be warned that these things aren't cheap and may require modification of your floor pan and definitely a modified trans cross member. Overall they are Mopar parts and still cheaper than the Keisler conversion which uses a Chevy trans.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

RECHRGD

Why not just keep the 727 and stick a Gear Vendors unit on there? :yesnod: :yesnod: :2thumbs:
13.53 @ 105.32

rusty lee

Quote from: RECHRGD on November 23, 2007, 11:36:05 AM
Why not just keep the 727 and stick a Gear Vendors unit on there? :yesnod: :yesnod: :2thumbs:

thanks for the link and info.

ok whats  a gear vendor unit?

RECHRGD

Quote from: rusty lee on November 23, 2007, 12:30:14 PM
Quote from: RECHRGD on November 23, 2007, 11:36:05 AM

thanks for the link and info.

ok whats a gear vendor unit?

GearVendors (google it) is a California company that makes O/D units for trucks, muscle cars, etc..  It is simply a different tailpiece for your transmission and turns your three speed torqueflight into a six speed.  You can leave it in auto mode and it acts just like a modern 4 speed tranny or use all six in the manual mode.  It turned my 3.55 rear end into a 2.76.  Highway rpms drop dramatically.  My 440 mpg when from 9/10 on the highway to 14/15mpg.  These are strong units and will handle up to 800hp.  Installation is easy.  All you are really doing is replacing the tailpiece on the transmission.  You will need to get your driveshaft shortened.  I had to take a couple of whacks at the driveshaft tunnel with a ballpeen hammer for a little 3/8" "adjustment".  If your running a HIGH stall converter you might want to talk to them about it.  Not cheap---$2,500.00 plus or minus.     Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

caddman

Rusty, what is the make, model and year of your car?  if you are looking for a cheaper way out, go bone yard.  i picked up my A518 for 350 bucks and its running strong (bone stock behind my factory 318).  the internals are the same as the 727 so a rebuild and a new converter won't break the bank.  and as far as the tunnel goes, in my 73 charger i had to cut on the cross member (over the tranny) but i never touched the floor pan.  you will need to modify the tranny case if you are running stock shift linkage, (check the hotrod website they did an article on this mod to a late 60's B body).  if you got the money go gear vendor it will turn your 3 speed into a 6 speed, very cool.

caddman

rusty lee

its a 69 charger with a 440. thanks for all the info.    :2thumbs:   lots of stuff to ponder.

John_Kunkel

Quote from: RD on November 22, 2007, 10:18:19 PM
if you have a small block you can put a A500/518 or 46rh/re in there. 

I would avoid the RE transmissions ('96 and later). They're not easy to control without expensive electronics.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

rusty lee

375instroke

Does a 440 need, or should I say, benefit from 6 very close ratio gears?  You're shifting within a vary narrow RPM range.  Has anyone tried shifting a Gear Vendors through 6 gears?  How does this work?  Start in first, push the button for first over, shift into second and push the button again, push the button again for second over, shift into third and push the button, push the button again for third over.  Now this is a big block with low gears, since you're using an overdrive, right.  How fast are you going to have to shift, and you're doing it twice as fast as normal since the gears are half as far apart.

If going with an A-518, I see them on Craigslist every few month or so.  I picked one up out of an early 90's full size van, already removed for me, with the factory trans cooler, for $200.  If using an adapter, I think you need to cut off the tab on the left of the block where the starter goes.  The starter sits lower on LA motors, and for the starter to fit in the boss in the bellhousing, this has to go.  An alternative, one that I'll be using, is the Ultrabell.  Here's a link: Ultra Bell SFI certified bellhousing  You have to cut the old bellhousing off, and the Ultrabell bolts on through the front pump bolts.  Best is to get the hydraulic version that was used up to the mid 90s.  Lots of info on the Moparts.com board with pics of people who have installed the A-518 in their cars, so you may want to do a search there.  Here's a few links:
Ultrabell install
A-518 in a Dart
This guy trimmed the trans, not the crossmember
Big OD thread
Gear Vendors in a '73 B-body

This is for another application, but the Ultrabell looks like this:

This is the Gear Vendors:

caddman

if you want to know how well it works, shifing the 440 through 6 gears ask NYCMille, he did it and made it look easy on national tv in his charger.  if the car hooks up it won't seem that close between shifts but if it breaks them loose then you won't be able to shift fast enough i would think.  and on a side note, i found information on the web that stated that you have to upgrade your tranny lines to a larger size.

caddman

rusty lee

I think I'll stay with the three speed. seems like a lot of money for the little mpg I will gain. but thanks to all.   :Twocents:

375instroke

It's more about what RPM you want to cruise in and what final gear ratio you want.  Do you want to run 3.91 gears, and still have your big block revving under 3500RPM on the freeway?  The MPG is just a side benefit.

aifilaw

There's a 4L60E conversion setup if you do a search for "4L60E" on the site, I'd expect ending cost would be around $1500-2000 when it was all said and done for a bulletproof tranny you could throw 7 or 800 HP at. less would be less.
'72 B5 Metallic Blue Hardtop
426" Wedge - Hydraulic Roller Stealth heads

RECHRGD

Quote from: 375instroke on November 26, 2007, 10:25:54 PM
Does a 440 need, or should I say, benefit from 6 very close ratio gears? You're shifting within a vary narrow RPM range. Has anyone tried shifting a Gear Vendors through 6 gears? How does this work? Start in first, push the button for first over, shift into second and push the button again, push the button again for second over, shift into third and push the button, push the button again for third over. Now this is a big block with low gears, since you're using an overdrive, right. How fast are you going to have to shift, and you're doing it twice as fast as normal since the gears are half as far apart.

Good point!!  I brought up the same thing awhile back.  As far as I'm concerned, if running a 1/4 mile, I would leave the Gear Vendors out of the equation.  I just love mine for the lower highway RPM,s.  Also, you can grab passing gear at 80 instead of 60.    Bob
13.53 @ 105.32