News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Clevite Bearings problem

Started by 66mopar, November 22, 2007, 09:28:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

66mopar

Just a heads up. I rebuilt a sb a few weeks ago and ran into a problem with new Clevite Bearings. When I installed the main bearings  I just happen to notice there wasn't an oil hole drilled into one of the thrust bearing. I checked the bearing package thinking they have packaged two many thrust CAP bearings. I kept the original bearings so I checked to see if the upper thrust bearing had a oil hole and just as I suspected it did have. I'm thinking that two thrust CAP bearings were installed in the package from the factory because the package had never been opened. I was shocked to discover this. These bearing are suppose to be the best.
Had I not noticed this my new rebuilt engine would have lasted about five mins.
Guys keep your eyes open for things like this because it would be real depressing to have to pull an engine out again because some nit wit made a mistake.

max

thanks for the heads up as i'm planning on putting a small block togeather shortly. it's a good idea to inspect any new parts before installing them.

when i first started building engines i keept the old parts that i took out of the engines so i could compare them with the new ones for any defects.

squeakfinder

Yeah, thanks for the heads up. I used speed pro in my big block. My machinist said he's had problem with cleivite. But I think it was mostly clearance problems.
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

firefighter3931

Good info...thanks for sharing !  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

John_Kunkel

I recently got a Clevite rod bearing set that was missing the locating "tab" on one of the shells, mass production means a booger will get through now and then.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.