News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

brake question for 8.75 swap to dana

Started by gordo1968charger, November 25, 2007, 09:27:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gordo1968charger

i ve took the 8.75 out of my 68,removed the axle shafts to strip the brakes down,and fitted my new strange dana 60,my question is:
in order to refit the brakes to the dana,i have to pull the shafts out,is this the same removal technique as the non sure grip 8.75?
i d hate to f$$k it up.
also what lubricant do i fill it with,it has a true trac unit.i ve looked on other boards and i think you have to put some additive in???
and lastly do i seal the brake housing ends with anything?it looked like it had a hylomar type of substance on the housing ends?
thanks in advance
gordo
68 charger+4 kids=2 jobs

Ghoste

Axle removal is the same for open and limited slip so you are good there.  You will get a variety of opinions on lube but I am still a dino user, 80w rear end oil.  There is an additive for limited slip rearends and it goes by a variety a brandnames and nicknames, most places will know what you mean if you ask for rear end friction modifier or limited slip friction modfier.  The foam gasket you are talking of is more of a dust seal I believe but yes, you should replace it.

gordo1968charger

:cheers:
should be straight forward then,i was getting in a bit of a flap last week,but it came apart a lot easier than i thought,no doubt i ll be posting next week as regards fitting the shoes back on.there possibly might be a foam seal on the housing end once i pull it off.
thanks again
68 charger+4 kids=2 jobs

Ghoste

It's tough sometimes because some of these old parts can be pretty hard to dismantle after a few decades and you are always second guessing yourself about applying more force or doing it incorrectly.

firefighter3931

Quote from: gordo1968charger on November 25, 2007, 02:56:58 PM
there possibly might be a foam seal on the housing end once i pull it off.

Gordo, if you don't have a foam seal handy just use silicone....works fine.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

gordo1968charger

:2thumbs:
thanks,shame i did nt know about this site 3 years ago.just need some free time to get in the garage and get it finished.
68 charger+4 kids=2 jobs

Ghoste