News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Who needs park anyways?

Started by Dodge69_440, November 10, 2007, 05:03:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dodge69_440

Ok so I broke my e-brake a few months ago.  Being the procrastinator I am I neglected to fix it.  I keep my car parked for weeks at a time on my driveway which is a hill.  I always chalked all four weels, but now my park simply doesn't work.  It shifts into every gear fine, but when it's in P it just rolls.  I hope I didn't shear the parking pin, any other ideas/solutions?  Also, does anyone know where I can get a new e-brake pronto?  I really want to make it out to the fall fling tomorrow in LA. 

Dodge69_440

Ok turns out fall fling is only today, crap.  Guess I'll have to wait till spring.  Anyways the problem remains.

Hot_Rodder

So what broke? Was it the cable at some point? What it a bracket? Or what?

Dodge69_440

the cable broke, do I have to pull my tranny to fix park?

Hot_Rodder

RD

Quote from: Dodge69_440 on November 10, 2007, 06:26:26 PM
the cable broke, do I have to pull my tranny to fix park?

no you dont.  you can pull your rear tailshaft housing if it is the parking lever mechanism that is causing your problem. 

Check this first. Make sure that your park is not being engaged due to the shifter not being adjusted correctly, thus not causing the parking rod to seat properly?
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

68chrgrwife

Quote from: Dodge69_440 on November 10, 2007, 05:36:33 PM
Ok turns out fall fling is only today, crap.  Guess I'll have to wait till spring.  Anyways the problem remains.

If you ahd gone yesterday you would have gotten an e-brake too....lol  They were selling them left and right!
MOPAR OR NO CAR BABY!
LOVING MY HUBBY: CHARGERMAN68
1973 DODGE CHALLENGER: SOLD :(
1968 DODGE CHARGER RT CLONE (OK, SO IT'S HUBBY'S BUT IT'S MINE TOO, RIGHT?)
2008 DODGE CHARGER
2005 DODGE MAGNUM R/T (YES IT'S GOTTA HEMI)!

GreenMachine

If you're sure the linkage is right, I would think it probably came loose at the valve body although I can't recall how it connects to the shift lever. I've never heard of one breaking but I'm sure it could happen. Just remove the pan and the shift and kickdown levers, then unbolt the valve body. From there you should see everything you need to see.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

John_Kunkel

Disconnect the shifter from the transmission shift lever and operate the lever by hand. The lever should move positively between the detents (clicks), if there is any slop in the lever between detents the shift shaft has come loose from the roostercomb and won't shift the internal rod into Park.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Dodge69_440

Ok I'm starting at the steering column because the problem started when my shifter fell off.  The only problem is the part with the P R N D won't come off.  It's held in by some sort of rubber grommet thing.  I can push it back, but it will not come all the way out.  I've been yanking on it, but that never solves anything. Thanks.

Dodge69_440

Ok I got the stupid snap ring off and it still won't budge, what's up?

Dodge69_440

The upper bearing is the only thing keeping the housing in place.  The damn thing won't move at all and I can't fit a puller in there, keep in mind the snap ring has been removed along with everything else.  I'm about to say screw it and make it my mechanics problem.  I would like to drive her before I go back to school though. 

Hot_Rodder

Wish I could help ya, but without seeing it... This also another reason why I like my shifters on the floor... ::)