News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

mp thermostat housing question

Started by 69chargerR/T, November 18, 2007, 08:40:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69chargerR/T

I just got an mp thermostat housing and thermostat. When I install the thermostat in the housing and put the gasket on the housing the thermostat is loose in the housing. It looks like when they made the housing they made the groove that the thermostat sits in to deep, so now the thermostat moves around in the housing and doesn't fit tight in the housing has anyone had this problem with mp thermostat housings ??? I'm using an mp thermostat # p4876307 its the big stat and # p4286759 housing. Is there a different seal or thermostat that I need to use with this housing

Thanks, Alan

70sixpkrt

I have heard that the MP thermostat housings have probems. I bought my housing from http://www.rogergibsonautorestoration.com/products.htm#
I installed it 4 months ago and no leaks.

440-6pk, 4-speed, Dana 60 with 3:54  
13.01 @107.93 (street tires spinning all the way down)

tecmopar

Have you tried installing it and then reach in with your finger or something else to see if it actually moves around, good luck.

Chatt69chgr

440 Source has some nice looking thermostat housings available.  I was thinking about getting one from them.  Perhaps some others that have had experience with one of these and could comment on their experiences.

BrianShaughnessy

I swear by my weldtech stainless thermostat housing but they had a big price increase.   www.weldtechstainless.com

Regular chrome housings all pretty much suck.    If you want to get it to keep from leaking,   install it,  torque it down, fire up the engine to get it hot and then remove it and put it on a belt sander or a planer to get it flat again. 
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

firefighter3931

Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on November 19, 2007, 07:52:20 PM

I swear by my weldtech stainless thermostat housing but they had a big price increase.   www.weldtechstainless.com

Wow, you're not kidding !  :o  Didn't those use to sell for $35 ?  :scratchchin:

I got the 440 source aluminum stat housing along with their aluminum waterpump housing....nice stuff !  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: firefighter3931 on November 19, 2007, 10:57:44 PM
Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on November 19, 2007, 07:52:20 PM

Wow, you're not kidding !  :o  Didn't those use to sell for $35 ?  :scratchchin:

Ron

Yeah... about that.     I bought their kit of BB brackets and engine parts for just over $200 a few years ago.  All that stuff doubled or more.    They are nice tho...  no fuss, no rust. 
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

Ghoste

After a few years of trying to sell water pump housings in a kit with the MP thermostat housing, I see even Mancinis have finally even started to sell a kit with a different housing.  That tends to make me think they were getting a lot of complaints too.