News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Your opinions on Cam choices!!

Started by jg68, November 03, 2007, 11:26:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jg68

Ok, i'm currently running the larger summit cam in my 446, I know some may say "So what" thats NOT whats important :slap:, but to me i would like something with alittle Rumpty-rump, Now this cam works really well with the Nitrous, but on its own it seems to have a flat power (torque) curve, it comes on around 2000 & falls flat at 51-5200 but doesn't seem to have any given area were it comes on strong, if this makes sence, i figured i would ask you guys, because my D100 is around the same weight as the B bodies, i will be running a 10" 2800 stall, it has 3.55 gears with 28" M'Ts, compression is 9.1, 1.7/8
headers, 850vs holley, performer intake, what other cam would be a nice choice & give better mid-range & top end power that can still be run with PBs, & have a nice sound, heres the specs on the summit cam, its basically a crane grind, so give me your opinions please.

465/488, 222/234 @ 50, 114 LSA

:cheers:

firefighter3931

Joe, here's one i like....had it in my old 446 and it made lots of idle vacuum and had a nice rumble.....very strong midrange power too and flattened out around 5800.  It's a wide split on a 112* Lsa that would work perfect with the Jooooz  :icon_smile_big: Streetwize ran it in his old 446 with 2600 stall & 3.54's to a best of 12.30's in his 70 charger.

http://crower.com/misc/cam_spec/cam_finder.php?part_num=32243&x=32&y=6

Another option would be the 268 Lunati Voo Doo stick custom ground on a 112* lsa. This one is a 110 lobe "off the shelf".

http://holley.com/60303.asp

Or you could go with an Engle k56/k58 on a 112* lsa

272/276
224/230
.504/.520

http://englecams.com/catalog/search_results.php

Good luck with your decision....lots of good options out there !  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

jg68

Thanks Ron :2thumbs:, i'm running the perf. intake & the 850vs R80531 from the 502 BBC Crate & hands down this is the Best carb so far, i like the Lunadi grind, on that 110 it should sound nice but still keep good vacuum for PBs, my other option that i was strongly considering was the XE274H, its a 488/491, 230/236 @ 50 on a 110 LSA.

Do you think in all honesty these other cams will perform better then the larger summit job :shruggy:

firefighter3931

Quote from: jg68 on November 04, 2007, 11:16:12 AM
Do you think in all honesty these other cams will perform better then the larger summit job :shruggy:

Absolutely....and for a couple of reasons ;

(1) the 114* lsa is hurting you. The power band is so flat with lobes that wide there probably isn't anywhere that it hits hard...just smooth linear power.

(2) The lobes on that summit stick are slow and gentle....not much lift....definately nowhere near a .904 lifter ramp and most likely an .842 profile.  :P  Cams with faster lobes make more torque....more lift under the curve. Roller cams are a good example of this....the faster valve action lets the air/fuel in sooner and for longer which allways translates into increased output.

If i had to choose one on a 110* lsa the first choice would be the k56/k58 then the lunati 268 Voo Doo and finally the xe274 for your combo. The low comp 9:1 440 with smallish stall and mild gears at 3800 lbs seems mismatched for a 230@.050 cam, inmo.  :Twocents: Those Comp xe grinds are also based on an .842 lifter profile so there are better choices out there. The XEHL cams are a different story though.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

jg68

Quote from: firefighter3931 on November 04, 2007, 12:30:49 PM
Quote from: jg68 on November 04, 2007, 11:16:12 AM

Absolutely....and for a couple of reasons ;

(1) the 114* lsa is hurting you. The power band is so flat with lobes that wide there probably isn't anywhere that it hits hard...just smooth linear power.

(2) The lobes on that summit stick are slow and gentle....not much lift....definately nowhere near a .904 lifter ramp and most likely an .842 profile.  :P  Cams with faster lobes make more torque....more lift under the curve. Roller cams are a good example of this....the faster valve action lets the air/fuel in sooner and for longer which allways translates into increased output.

If i had to choose one on a 110* lsa the first choice would be the k56/k58 then the lunati 268 Voo Doo and finally the xe274 for your combo. The low comp 9:1 440 with smallish stall and mild gears at 3800 lbs seems mismatched for a 230@.050 cam, inmo.  :Twocents: Those Comp xe grinds are also based on an .842 lifter profile so there are better choices out there. The XEHL cams are a different story though.  ;)

Ron

Now only if i would have came here first with these ???s, Thanks again Ron :2thumbs:, you have a good nak of simplifing things so us Dumb butts can understand easier :D, i like the specs on the VooDoo 268, nice lift with a tamer dur. @ 50, should have good vacuum for PBs.

I'm glad you understand my thoughts on the summit cam, i'm not at all satified with it, for NOS is great hands down, buy off the juice its  ::).

Thanks again Ron :cheers:

BTW, final note: should i stick with a 110 LSA vs. 112 for my combo, i know the 112 should give better vacuum, BUT it still makes me alittle uneasy just dropping to a 112 :-\, I know the other carictoristics on the profile play a BIG part too, so whatcha think, VooDoo 268 on the 110 ;)

firefighter3931

Quote from: jg68 on November 04, 2007, 01:46:49 PM
  us Dumb butts can understand easier :D,

Joe  :lol: You and i both know that's not true !  ;) I bet if you had more static comp the Summit stick would probably work better. Personally, i'm not a fan of anything wider than 112* on a hotrod type build.....those wide lobes just flatten out the powerband TOO much and it doesn't seem to hit hard...anywhere  :P

I would expect that the 268 VooDoo with a 4* tighter lobe seperation and more agressive ramps will pull real strong where you want it to. It still has a split pattern that should work good with a small shot of the joooz too.  :icon_smile_big:

The way i see it , you have a 3800lb beast with 28in tires, 3.55 gears and a very mild 9:1 440 and 2800 or so stall. The right cam has to build strong midrange and still pull enough up top to make you happy. Anyone of those 3 cams i suggested would do the trick....ultimately though it's your choice. Something in the mid 220@.050 lift range on a 110-112 should be just about perfect.  :Twocents:

Ron

jg68

Cool, yeah i had to send that TCI back to PTC, that sucker was flashing 34-3500 in 1st gear & the stall was WAY too much, the flash i could have lived with, but trying to cruise around was :rotz:, i could easily foot brake it to 25-2600, one thing it did do was ROAST those MTs 1/2 throttle.

Ok, i'll think things over on these cams, check out my newest carb :D, its a 4781 holley MB that i converted to screw in bleeds & 4 corner idleing, then i just added the QF goodies, it should easily flow 920 CFM, its about as close as you'll get to an HP1000 series ;), check out them .040" twin squirters, its like flushing a toilet :drool5:, i've got it jetted 82/92 PV up front, .031" HSABs & .070" IABs.

I'm sure your :smilielol: :smilielol: :hah: :hah: right about now :slap:

Hey, what can i say, i love my Holleys :coolgleamA:

firefighter3931

Quote from: jg68 on November 04, 2007, 02:36:49 PM
Cool, yeah i had to send that TCI back to PTC, that sucker was flashing 34-3500 in 1st gear & the stall was WAY too much, the flash i could have lived with, but trying to cruise around was :rotz:, i could easily foot brake it to 25-2600, one thing it did do was ROAST those MTs 1/2 throttle.

Wow....guess they missed the tuneup on that one....geez 3500 stall !  :o Ibet it felt soggy with that broom stick cam and 3.55's  :rofl:

Quote from: jg68 on November 04, 2007, 02:36:49 PM

Ok, i'll think things over on these cams, check out my newest carb :D, its a 4781 holley MB that i converted to screw in bleeds & 4 corner idleing, then i just added the QF goodies, it should easily flow 920 CFM, its about as close as you'll get to an HP1000 series ;), check out them .040" twin squirters, its like flushing a toilet :drool5:, i've got it jetted 82/92 PV up front, .031" HSABs & .070" IABs.

I'm sure your :smilielol: :smilielol: :hah: :hah: right about now :slap:

Hey, what can i say, i love my Holleys :coolgleamA:

Now that is a serious  carb....i like it !  :drool5: Actually, with the dual plane it should run pretty darn good i would think. The billet PF blocks and baseplate are killer !  :icon_smile_cool: Did you use the hollow screws on the big azz squirters ?

I've got some 6-pack carbs that need a resto....i know where i'll be sending them when the time comes.  ;)

Joe, just swap that cam out and be done with it....no point in trying to  :horse:

Ron

jg68

Yeah Ron, they have the hollow screws, if you look, the flat head is a dead giveaway ;), if i told you what i had into this carb, you would Shiiiiiiiiit!!!!!!!!!! :icon_smile_big:

Know problem on the carbs :2thumbs:, when your ready, let me know.

Hey, are you looking for a TQ at all :shruggy:, i do have a nice one from a 74 440 industrial (no emissions) i'll let you have if needed, i'm really not useing it, all it'll need is some needle/seats * probably the front throttle shaft rebuilt, its alittle sloppy, not horrible though :cheers:

firefighter3931

Quote from: jg68 on November 04, 2007, 04:01:33 PM
Yeah Ron, they have the hollow screws, if you look, the flat head is a dead giveaway ;),

Doh !  :scope:  Should have noticed that !  :nono:

Quote from: jg68 on November 04, 2007, 04:01:33 PM
Hey, are you looking for a TQ at all :shruggy:, i do have a nice one from a 74 440 industrial (no emissions) i'll let you have if needed, i'm really not useing it, all it'll need is some needle/seats * probably the front throttle shaft rebuilt, its alittle sloppy, not horrible though :cheers:

Thanks for the offer but the last Thermo quad i had went to a good buddy in Missouri....i'm a Holley man !  ;)

You should freshen it up a drop it on e-bay....some resto guy will be all over it. Use the coin to buy some nice new PF billet parts  :drool5:

I will get around to the 70 eventually...after i get the 68 together.  I will for sure be sending those 6pk carbs your way.  :2thumbs:

Ron

jg68

Ron, these are the crane springs i have, single w/dampner part # 99839, at the installed height of 1.875", it has a seat pressure of 90 lbs. & open at 280 @ 1.300", max recammende lift & rpm.... .580" - 6,500 rpm, now this seems pretty good for a seat pressure of 90 lbs., now the 268 VooDoo has this recammended spring (see attachment), do you think i'll be fine with my springs the way they are, Lunati has theres at 315 lbs. @ 1.200, i will most likely never go over 57-5800, i likethe thought of the weaker pressure, not chanceing a wiped lobe, but at there 1.820" installed height, there at 120 lbs. seat.

Also, do you think i'll be ok with the stock height on the guide bosses??, they are 452s, i measured them once at .500 lift & don't remember what i had left :scratchchin:

http://www.holley.com/60303.asp

firefighter3931

Joe, those springs will be fine inmo. I would shim them up for a little more seat pressure to keep the valvetrain stable. As for retainer clearance ; the general rule of thumb is .510 lift before valve guide mods...i seriously doubt that the extra .003 lift would make any difference. You might want to check the coilbind spec on those Crane springs though.  :scratchchin:

The Comp 911's would fit the bill if you had to replace those crane springs by chance....or the Voo doo springs that are recommended.  :yesnod:

Ron

jg68

Thanks, i'm sure coil bind shouldn't be an issue, they are rated to .580" lift & by the looks of them at .488" theres plenty more left :cheers: